Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter Straight 6
Default Weird Trouble Codes

Thus far I've been unable to find anything on here that could explain my issue.

The check engine light came on in my 1999 XJ Sport, 4.0L with 226XXX miles on her. I went to Auto Zone to have them scan for codes and it came back as follows:

1. P1491- Radiator Fan Control Relay Circuit Malfunction
2. P0705- A/T Check Shifter Signal Circuit Malfunction
3. P1694- No PCM Bus Messages
4. P0705- ...again?!

Regarding code 1- it's currently cool in Savannah but I managed to get my Jeep to the 210 degree mark where the fan usually kicks in... nada. The fan did not fire. I checked all of the fuses in the engine bay fuse box and tried swapping the relay with one that is known to be good (starter) and had no change.

Code 2- I have read that the P0705 can be the Neutral Safety Switch. My problems with that are that I just had that code by itself about 5 weeks ago. I took that sucker off and gave it a good cleaning like everyone says to do. The code went away and life was wonderful until now. Also, my vehicle starts in neutral and park, and has reverse lights when in reverse like it should.

Code 3- The way I understand it, this means that the computer isn't talking to the transmission? Does anyone know what causes this? I read a thread where this was caused by a bad CPS but in that scenario the vehicle wouldn't start. My Jeep starts and runs fine. I just have a nasty orange check engine light glaring at me.

Code 4- is it normal for a vehicle to throw the same code twice? I'm not a mechanic, just a DIYer who tries to do my own car repair to save some dough so I really have no idea.

Could all of these be related and if so what would cause all of these seemingly random codes to go off? Like I said, the Jeep starts and runs like nothing is wrong so I don't have any symptoms to go off of other than the CEL and the codes the the parts store gave me.

Any ideas are most welcome. I'm completely stumped by this one.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Yep, weird all right.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Liter Straight 6

Correction- The fan DOES come on when it's suppose to. I was being lazy and was just seeing if I could hear it with the hood closed. I forgot that maybe four months ago my old, noisy fan spun itself into a million pieces. The new fan is super quiet and does indeed kick in at the proper temp. Does that make any difference for anyone's thoughts on this?