Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

That weird squeal noise

Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question That weird squeal noise

Sup guys, I'm new to this thread. My problem has drove me nuts the past few weeks and everyone at the auto shops around me believes my baby is just. So now I figured it's time to get some help.

My jeep started squealing on me a few weeks ago, so I thought maybe it was either the belt or one of the pulleys gone bad... Found it that it wasn't either of them after checking each one.

It doesn't squeak when idling, but as soon as I start driving the noise comes (sometimes the noise either stays for a few seconds or a few minutes and quits for a while before coming back) and often changes pitch and volume, but it's mostly a high pitch squealing. When I give her gas the noise increases, when I let off the gas the noise returns to its original volume.. While its squealing, when I hit the breaks the noise goes away.

I'm assuming it's something to do with my brakes...?

I'll try to get a video of it soon.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: I6 4.0 242 HO

How'd you test each of them? I'd start by removing the belt and checking for the noise.
Will it make the noise while in park? (Rev it up)
Check your brake calipers, I had a bolt fall out of my drivers side before and had similar symptoms.
It would fall back into place when I hit the brakes, and fall into the wheel under acceleration.

Last edited by rawk krawler; 08-20-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If it goes away when you hit the brakes I'd look there first. Might be as simple as worn out pads.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rawk krawler
How'd you test each of them? I'd start by removing the belt and checking for the noise.
Check your brake calipers, I had a bolt fall out of my drivers side before and had similar symptoms.
It would fall back into place when I hit the brakes, and fall into the wheel under acceleration.
I removed the belt to look at each pulley individually thinking that it could be one of them... I thought it was the Idler puller, so I replaced that but the noise sure enough, came back. I didn't think to check my brake calipers tho. Definitely going to get on that as soon as I free my free time this afternoon.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Can you get a video with the sound? It would be much easier to help if we knew what it sounded like. Also is it coming from the engine compartment or under the Jeep from around the wheel areas? If it's in the engine compartment hows the belt looking? Does it look real shiny and glazed over also do the pulleys also look shiny and glazed? If so it can be coming from the belt. BTW, The belt on the XJ's do have to be really tight to keep it from squealing.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Originally Posted by rawk krawler
On that note it could be the caliper itself too, bad piston seals aren't resetting the pads fully.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 PM

So its been some time since I got to work on her due to other stuff. But I ended up just replacing the calipers and break pads. Good news is that it fixed the squealing noise... but now while im driving it will make a interesting popping noise, like pouring milk into a bowl of rice crispies and hearing the popping noise, and I really have no idea what could be making that noise.