Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird smell while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Weird smell while driving.

I had a weird odor coming off the jeep yesterday. I though it might have been transmission fluid. So I look under jeep this is what I find on the oil pan and transmission. Drivers side of oil pan looks wet. I wipe it off looks black. Any clues, I will post some photos.

Thanks,
Ben

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ium8vo3sna...2012.07.05.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyq6pumnta...2012.06.50.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoibu3j3mw...2012.06.46.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7oemljmjy...2012.06.26.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihtezrpbjz...2012.06.36.jpg
Old 04-13-2014, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Looks like you have a oil leak. It can be coming from several places. Like valve cover, oil filter adapter, Distributor, Oil pan gasket or rear main seal. Before you rush to think the rear main seal check out the others first. Because with the others the oil will run down to the back looking like the rear main.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:19 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Hold on now... Are you saying that you have a <insert year> <insert model> that leaks engine oil, ATF, coolant and or power steering fluid?? And you have actual pictures for proof?? Forgive me, but I've been perusing these pages for several years now and I mean no offense, but those pictures look photo-chopped to me. We are talking "Jeep" here, yes? Where exactly were you driving when this event occurred? I can only imagine that you must have driven through one of those awful oil spills that have been in the news lately. Obviously, the sludge splashed up onto your hot engine/exhaust parts and caused the distinctive odor that many 'non Jeep' owners are all too familiar with. Pffff.... Leaky Jeep?? What's next? Pics of 'broken parts'? Tales of 'mechanical malfunctions'?? Please.. Where are the mods when these 'fairy tales' slip through..?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kjc
Hold on now... Are you saying that you have a <insert year> <insert model> that leaks engine oil, ATF, coolant and or power steering fluid?? And you have actual pictures for proof?? Forgive me, but I've been perusing these pages for several years now and I mean no offense, but those pictures look photo-chopped to me. We are talking "Jeep" here, yes? Where exactly were you driving when this event occurred? I can only imagine that you must have driven through one of those awful oil spills that have been in the news lately. Obviously, the sludge splashed up onto your hot engine/exhaust parts and caused the distinctive odor that many 'non Jeep' owners are all too familiar with. Pffff.... Leaky Jeep?? What's next? Pics of 'broken parts'? Tales of 'mechanical malfunctions'?? Please.. Where are the mods when these 'fairy tales' slip through..?
What are you talking [writing] about?

OP, the smell was probably from oil dripping onto your exhaust. As Torrez suggested, it could be the oil filter adapter (on the passenger side of the block) or oil leaking out the back of the valve cover, rear CCV grommet, oil filler cap, or front CCV elbow. Or, it could be from your rear main seal or oil pan gasket. Start with everything but the pan gasket and RMS.

Also, knowing what year, engine, transmission, mileage and model you have will help us.

EDIT: Never mind that last part, I see it in your sig.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I have ruled out some of those locations. I will check the valve cover. I have replaced or repaired some of those places already. also thanks for not being snarky at all.

Thanks,
Ben

Yeah I put that info in my sig got tired of retyping it every time I posted something.