Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird slight vibration on highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default Weird slight vibration on highway

i have a stock 95 XJ 2.5l 5 speed, 4x4. (4 cyl XJ is the way to go w/ no cat i pulled in 22.1 MPG) Just rolled over to 200k yesterday.

I have been having this weird vibration on the highway, it starts right around 60. It is intermittent though. It is slight in, i can see the passenger seat back rest vibrtating and sometimes i can feel it in my seat, and a very little bit in the steering wheel. It comes and goes, and sometimes it is worse and sometimes it is mild. Only happens at 60+. Not 50 or 55. If i have a water bottle in the cup holder the water shakes around a lot inside the bottle.

I am familiar with the infamous death wobble and it is definetly not that.

It seems like if i am on a smooth road, it is less or not there, and then i go over some bumpy parts of the road it will start. Some people don't notice it that much, but i notice it and i drive it everyday. I know it did not use to do this

I have already replaced the rear driveshaft and u-joints, taken out the front driveshaft and driven like that, exhaust, and rear shocks.

Does anybody know what this is? has it every happened to anyone before?

I am kinding of running out of ideas of what to replace next.

thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

That's the exact issue I'm having, and I'm still investigating mine. I'm going to check my rear driveshaft this weekend and if that doesn't work...start swapping out the track bar and tie rod ends.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kscotese
i have a stock 95 XJ 2.5l 5 speed, 4x4. (4 cyl XJ is the way to go w/ no cat i pulled in 22.1 MPG) Just rolled over to 200k yesterday.

I have been having this weird vibration on the highway, it starts right around 60. It is intermittent though. It is slight in, i can see the passenger seat back rest vibrtating and sometimes i can feel it in my seat, and a very little bit in the steering wheel. It comes and goes, and sometimes it is worse and sometimes it is mild. Only happens at 60+. Not 50 or 55. If i have a water bottle in the cup holder the water shakes around a lot inside the bottle.

I am familiar with the infamous death wobble and it is definetly not that.

It seems like if i am on a smooth road, it is less or not there, and then i go over some bumpy parts of the road it will start. Some people don't notice it that much, but i notice it and i drive it everyday. I know it did not use to do this

I have already replaced the rear driveshaft and u-joints, taken out the front driveshaft and driven like that, exhaust, and rear shocks.

Does anybody know what this is? has it every happened to anyone before?

I am kinding of running out of ideas of what to replace next.

thanks

hey there. a heads up about discussing cat's on here- its a big no no!!! literally even discussing them is not allowed!! just FYI!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992 2dr Sport 2wd & 1992 4dr Laredo 4x4
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O.

it's your tires
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5L

path 31- please let me know what you find out

VTJeep- Thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of that, i will never bring it up again.

patrick- i forgot to mention, initially i thought it was that too, so i switched out those tires and wheels with another set of 15" jeep tires and wheels i had and it still does it, exactly the same. That is when i did driveshaft, u-joints, exhaust, rear shocks.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM

I agree with checking your track bar. Why is talking about cats not allowed??