Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird failures with 1994 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Weird failures with 1994 Cherokee

My door switches are all messed up and I am flummoxed. When I first got the Jeep about 8 years ago, the windows all worked. But then I started to get intermittent failures of all window controls other than the driver front controls. But then I eventually had a total failure of window switches including the driver front switches.

But, my side view mirror controls work fine for driver and passenger sides.

And the door lock function works on the driver side, but not the unlock. The passenger front lock/unlock works, but the unlock has to be hit a couple of times to get the rear doors to unlock fully.

No window switches work anywhere. They are all in the up position, so I can't say definitively that the up function doesn't work. But I can't get any window down to test that.

These are the old Eaton switches and I did take apart the driver side switches and cleaned them well. Some did have some discoloration at the contact points, but not all did. But I went ahead and cleaned the contact points. Yet absolutely no change when I put them back together. I am not even getting a whine or groan or click at any window.

So in terms of diagnosis, what does it exclude or point to when:
1) sideview mirrors adjust flawlessly
2) passenger front lock/unlock works but sometimes needs a couple of clicks to move the locks
3) driver front locks all doors like a champ but unlocks none
4) no window switches work at all and the driver switches have been cleaned up and still no workie.

Any ideas? Could it be failing motors all around? What are the odds of that?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

My old GC had the same issue and it was all due to the wiring in the flex tubing between the jams and the back doors. Once one wire breaks you lose the entire circuit. I'm saying this assuming all the fuses are good and grounds are secure.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RED RIVER
all due to the wiring in the flex tubing between the jams and the back doors. Once one wire breaks you lose the entire circuit. I'm saying this assuming all the fuses are good and grounds are secure.

Bingo. Double check the grounds, then get looking at that wiring that has been flexing and flexing and flexing for a few decades now.

If you have had a water problem in your Jeep (leaking windshield, for example), you also need to check some connectors under the seats.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I too had door lock and window issues and all of them were related to the wires being broken in the flex tube between the door and the chassis.

Max