Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Water Pump?

I have had an over heating problem off and on with my 89 Cherokee for 4 months now. I replaced the thermostat 3 times, 2 top radiator hoses, and today the lower hose. I think maybe I need to replace the water pump, and if not, i'm sure it needs replaced anyways (she's been severely neglected)
How hard is it? and how much is it going to cost me? please keep in mind i became a mechanic when i bought her 5 months ago...but i'm a fast learner
I should also add that there is a small puddle of antifreeze under it always, not so much that i have ever been concerned. after replacing the lower hose earlier the puddle is still there but much smaller.

Last edited by Dusty.Rose; 09-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 PM

I replaced water pump, t-stat, t-stat housing, serpentine belt & back flushed cooling system coupla weeks ago...all for the first time, on any vehicle, and no lives were lost in the process...to date the Cherokee is running cooler.

For me the hardest part was getting the tension great enough on the new serpentine belt. FWIW, here are some points I thought were important....

Mark, with Liquid Paper or similar, the tensioner bolt location in some way, before removal, so u can use the mark as a point of reference when you place the belt back on the pulleys, I.e., upon replacement of the belt you adjust the tensioner until the marking is matched back up to it's original location.

The propellor on the water pump on my 96 was a reverse rotation, not sure if that is the case for yours but something to be aware of before you order replacement.

Be certain to place serpentine belt on pulleys as it was prior.

Use RTV sparingly, so as to reduce the chance any will break off into the block.

Hope this helps. If you do a search I think you will find a lot more useful info.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If your water pump is leaking from the "weep hole" (small hole on the bottom of the pump), it is telling you that it needs to be replaced. And do it now as if that is the cause of the leak, the pump can fail catastrophically at any time. Then you risk blowing a head gasket, cracking a head, or worse.

The pump is cheap and replacement is a bit tedious, but not that difficult. While you are at it, review ALL other cooling system components and replace as necessary and give serious consideration to replacing your radiator while you are doing this if it is old; it makes good sense and the radiator isn't that expensive.

You really need to get a service manual if you plan on working on your Jeep. It is the BEST money you can spend. You will refer to it constantly. Factory service manual is best, then Chiltons, then Haynes. Here is a link to a good place for manuals.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/F..._cherokee.html

Last edited by tjwalker; 09-07-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Year: 2004 4WD
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 All Factory

If you are somewhat handy you can do this yourself and the tools needed are not uncommon. I don't know about an 89 but the only odd and inexpensive tool you will need is to dissconnect the lower Trans line.
There are tons of posts on this, recomend," thermostat" page 10. All of these vehicles are old enough to need, water pump, clutch fan, radiator cleaning or replace, Radiator cap, and the correct antifreeze mixture. Try searching words like, Overheating, Radiator, ect.
Removing the Intake Air box & Batterey first makes the job a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump?-new-parts.jpg