Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

water leaks impossible to stop,****

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default water leaks impossible to stop,****

i came to the forum when i was rebuilding my rusted rotted floor pans. all i know about the water problem i learned here since i got here . i read everything everyone else had to say, did what they did and continued on my own because the leaks were not stopped on my 2000 xj. yours may require more / different approaches. they are all leaking and rotting the floors away,,,slowly.
i will attempt to describe what ive done so far trying to find the right words to describe the area im working, air channel under wipers, air vent vertical from heater, trim screen over the wiper area. you may need to figure it out in my lack of terminology.
others deserve credit in some areas i describe, im not looking for glory.
since i had a tiny leak today during an all day horrendous downpour, im still looking for a final answer and I DONT KNOW HOW THE WATER FINDS ITS WAY IN,in a number of ways,short of tearing the pass side sheet metal apart.!! lots of pix have been posted so ill just show a couple that help see the problem area that i have worked in and thououghly mopped sealer in, around the vert air vent , the main problem for leaks.

you will see a small channel above the vert air vent. it catches water draining thru the cowl screen trim so it doesnt drip direct into the air vent, the worst thing! but that channel drips the water right beside the vent and it drains out as it is designed to do.almost!!! some of it finds its way insid in the corner in the kick area ahead of and not on the fuse assm there. i dont know how.
my solution now is to add a similar channel directing that dripping into the engine side of the firewall thru that ugly hole i cut there.this should keep ALL water out of the pass side of the air channel since i previously added a dam in there based on someone elses advice when this started.
i have also drilled three small holes just above the lip on the firewall letting water leak into the engine side of the firewall instead of the carpet side!! those holes on the driver side to help it drain since it now gets all water entering the air channel along with the air we need to go in there.
ill have pix of the added channel thur i hope.
ill try to add the old pix now. then back tomorrow.
this is the best i can do and it may seem overkill, i know of no other way to fix this leak/rusted floorpan problem....

the ugly hole is just to right of hood hinge, pass side
Attached Thumbnails water leaks impossible to stop,****-100_5143.jpg   water leaks impossible to stop,****-100_5130.jpg   water leaks impossible to stop,****-100_5142.jpg  

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-12-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Banned

Default final fix??,,i hope

see the added trough to direct water out to the engine side of firewall even with ugly lid closed.
i will seal the sides but let the bottom left open.

this is THE ONLY way i can see to stop water from getting to the pass side.
illm report after the next downpour!!

btw the pix on my comp are bright and clear, dont know why they are dark on forum,maybe you can add brightness?
Attached Thumbnails water leaks impossible to stop,****-100_5150.jpg   water leaks impossible to stop,****-100_5153.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Ummmm ok hahha

why don't you test it with a hose right away?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

freezing!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Have you tried that spray on rubber sealant that they sell on TV .
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tech
That stuff is trash.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tech
you make it sound like i have a problem. i fixed mine.
who has a leak problem? everyone in a jeep who didnt do what i did. THEY ALL LEAK!!!
so try the spray and let us all know if you can get it sprayed where you must get it!! check your wet carpet!!

good luck guys...
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Sounds like you likely found some of my posts about a "cowling" leak, and issues with the air duct. I hacked mine, (dremel is neater Btw), for nothing. For me liberal, plain old water base latex around both the blower motor and the seam where the firewall meets the fender is what finally did It.

HA! Key find....Search "cowl" IE " water leaking form cowl, (not cowling)

Lots here>> Post#63 is a fav of mine!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...-34969/index6/

Old 01-17-2017, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
you make it sound like i have a problem. i fixed mine.
who has a leak problem? everyone in a jeep who didnt do what i did. THEY ALL LEAK!!!
so try the spray and let us all know if you can get it sprayed where you must get it!! check your wet carpet!!

good luck guys...
Dude you seriously need to stop with this. You have a problem and automatically think every jeep has it. Just like your starter issue. You say things like "if you have a jeep you learn to jump it with a screwdriver, it's a jeep thing". No it really isn't. I haven't gone through the leak issue that you have had on 3 jeeps. I think many of us havent. I had one minor leak on my current one but was fixed in like 5 minutes. And I didn't have to cut a big *** hole in the firewall or cowl haha. I think you look at a couple threads, see a couple people that had similar problems, and then you think everyone has it and "it's a jeep thing" when it really isn't. Maybe you got a lemon or something man I don't know because you seem to have a lot of issues with your jeep. In conclusion, THEY DO NOT ALL LEAK, and please stop saying every jeep has the problems yours has haha
Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

That hole in the firewall is a real safety concern. It is a direct path for air from the engine compartment to flood into interior. Hope you drive with the windows down all the time.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Sounds like you likely found some of my posts about a "cowling" leak, and issues with the air duct. I hacked mine, (dremel is neater Btw), for nothing. For me liberal, plain old water base latex around both the blower motor and the seam where the firewall meets the fender is what finally did It.

HA! Key find....Search "cowl" IE " water leaking form cowl, (not cowling)

Lots here>> Post#63 is a fav of mine!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...-34969/index6/

yes your posts really helped me understand the different areas to work on nor around,thanks.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Dude you seriously need to stop with this. You have a problem and automatically think every jeep has it. Just like your starter issue. You say things like "if you have a jeep you learn to jump it with a screwdriver, it's a jeep thing". No it really isn't. I haven't gone through the leak issue that you have had on 3 jeeps. I think many of us havent. I had one minor leak on my current one but was fixed in like 5 minutes. And I didn't have to cut a big *** hole in the firewall or cowl haha. I think you look at a couple threads, see a couple people that had similar problems, and then you think everyone has it and "it's a jeep thing" when it really isn't. Maybe you got a lemon or something man I don't know because you seem to have a lot of issues with your jeep. In conclusion, THEY DO NOT ALL LEAK, and please stop saying every jeep has the problems yours has haha
im just assuming all 2000's were built on the same assembly line with same material. the foam seal around the vertical duct is one of 2 leak points and i doubt if mine is the only one built that way.
tho hole might leak a little bit of that warm air from the fan. my exhaust goes out the back of the car!! you seem to enjoy criticizing me for my inovative methods of overcoming the mix of problems. i learned about the screwdriver workaround for the forum where other guys found a way to get home when stranded on a lonely rainy, cold,scary road!!

so please be positive or dont bother contributing your constant negative non helpful comments,,,ignored
Old 01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

im just assuming all 2000's were built on the same assembly line with same material. the foam seal around the vertical duct is one of 2 leak points and i doubt if mine is the only one built that way.
tho hole might leak a little bit of that warm air from the fan. my exhaust goes out the back of the car!! you seem to enjoy criticizing me for my inovative methods of overcoming the mix of problems. i learned about the screwdriver workaround for the forum where other guys found a way to get home when stranded on a lonely rainy, cold,scary road!!

so please be positive or dont bother contributing your constant negative non helpful comments,,,ignored
Lol innovative. Im not the only one that criticizes you. Lvarious other nembers have called you out on differrent threads for your "innovation"...So you just learned the screwdriver trick a few months ago when you joined? But you also keep saying that you've been working on cars your whole life. Since 1958 you said. You barely learned thatv trick a few months ago? I'm smelling bs. You've also been called out numerous times by numerous members here for info you post that are just flat wrong but you argue that you've been doing it forever, when clearly it's all wrong. So maybe you should be the one that doesn't bother Contributing because you lead people the wrong way. Just saying

I need a meme right now for this. Memers where you at? Jeepin has some good ones all the time haha.

Last edited by Martlor13; 01-17-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

.....im just assuming all 2000's were built on the same assembly line with same material.
FWIW, my 2000 XJ has NEVER had a water leak in the 17 yrs. and 326,000 miles i put on it. And it ran through some hellacious rain torrents some of which bordered on tornadic.

Also by the way far as your current starter issues, in all those years and miles the starter is the original and still cranking strong.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moparado
FWIW, my 2000 XJ has NEVER had a water leak in the 17 yrs. and 326,000 miles i put on it. And it ran through some hellacious rain torrents some of which bordered on tornadic.

Also by the way far as your current starter issues, in all those years and miles the starter is the original and still cranking strong.

hey you're lucky and most starters last"forever". i happend to have one go bad and worse,m the reman was intermittent. worked great, then later went ,click,no go, till i jumped it. just put in a NEW one and it sounds strong, quicker starts, feeling good so far. i also have rarely had starter trouble.

no leaks?, i consider a miracle!!, so many guys have posted on it.
i learned the hard way. mine had been leaking long ago b4 i got it,floors were gone.
btw i had a chevy s10, leaked. a pontiac mini"dust buster" that leaked.
most hummers have a variety of leak sources. its common.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-17-2017 at 06:21 PM.