Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water leaking through vents or windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Water leaking through vents or windshield

So my 94 has water leaking on the inside though either the windshield or the vents...Windshield has been siliconed in, so my guess is that it's coming from the windshield.

With that being said, the carpet has been torn out. The floorboard gets hot in the back, and I am sure that in the summer, it is going to be roasting in there. The jeep has no AC either...compressor is there, but that is the only thing there. I was going to run it to an air tank. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to keeping the heat/noise down on the inside? There is a roll cage in it as well and no headliner....You shut the doors and you hear metal...I would like to put something at the top too, even it was something you stick up there (first thing that comes to mind is sound proof stuff that you stick in for cars when doing audio installs).

For the floor, I was thinking herculiner or something, but dang, that looks like crap when mud starts to get on it, and short of sticking a pressure washer on the inside and getting everything wet, its dang near impossible to clean.

I'm pretty concerned as summer gets here about how hot it is going to be....No headliner, no carpet, I live in a very humid area...It's going to be miserable haha. How hard would it be to add AC back to it assuming my compressor is good? I believe that it is missing everything. I know just enough about AC to be dangerous. I have everything to service AC, just never done anything except change out some parts and add r134a...On second thought, it would probably be a huge pain.

Last edited by matholland; 04-06-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Alright, so I am pretty sure it is coming from the windshield. The windshield has already been siliconed some from the previous owner. It is going in the floor on both sides and last night I was in a heavy rain and my cd player started messing up while water was dripping on my feet. This tells me that more than likely it is coming from the windshield since it must be hitting my radio.

Now before I spend whatever it is to have a new windshield and seal put in, I figured I might as well get some more silicone and try to go along the outside of the windshield real nice and neat like and try to get it to quit leaking so bad. Also, can a person get to the bottom of the windshield to put silicone on the inside as well? Previous owner did on the inside, but not the outside. There is a cage build in the jeep and it is built in such a way that a person would not be able to remove the dash without cutting it out. Hopefully I never have to replace the heater core.

Last edited by matholland; 04-10-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Year: 1995

I have had the driver side top hinge re welded and had water coming in there to the floor, Also replaced windshield and had 5 nice size holes behind glass on frame. Mine is a 95 .
I would see how much a glass company would take out and if there are holes like i am sure there are and come back in a few days and put in after you fiberglass it back. That is what i did surprised how many hole there where. It is a ***** pulling class out and most likely will crack.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Good news a new windshield is only about a $120 installed, had to have one in my 99 installed.