Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water Leaking Into Cab...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Water Leaking Into Cab...

No, it's not the heater core. I have always had a wet floor board on the drivers side but I figured it was just from the snow on my shoes.
Today I went through a car wash and water came in both front windows. It came in right at the top where the window slides into the seal at the top corner closest to the front of the car.
This probably explains the moisture. anyone had this problem? Ideas for fixing it?

Thanks

It's a 1996 with manual windows.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

i just had this problem, but instead with water leaking in at the top of the windshield...i ended up using some silicone caulk inside the lip of the rubber seal...seems to have fixed the problem.
is it something that can be siliconed??
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly, but it would mean putting silicone in the channel at the top of the window frame that the window slides into. I'm worried that this wouldn't allow the window to roll up all the way and just worsen the problem or create others.
It's strange because the seals and the window channels look like they're in perfect condition. and it happened to BOTH windows when I washed it!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Mossycherokee
Possibly, but it would mean putting silicone in the channel at the top of the window frame that the window slides into. I'm worried that this wouldn't allow the window to roll up all the way and just worsen the problem or create others.
It's strange because the seals and the window channels look like they're in perfect condition. and it happened to BOTH windows when I washed it!
The water could still be from your boots, my jeep does the same thing. It is just when the water has some pressure to it that it leaks, but does not leak with rain. I suppose you could look around online for new seals, can not be to expensive.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Does the door frame press the seal tight against the body when its shut? If it doesnt roll the window down,then brace urself and put ur knee against the inside of the door and pull the top of the door frame in towards the cab.Dont freak out Im not saying bend the door in half or anything just tweak it in a little.Then shut the door and see if the seal is sandwiched between the door and body. Repeat as necessary. Roll ur window up and down the make sure u didnt bend it to much. My jeep was t-boned by a F-150 and it pushed the passenger side out about an inch,I would get 5-10 GALLONS of water on my floor every time it rained.I did this and it solved my problem. Just replacing the seals may work too...