Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water from Firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Water from Firewall?

My 2k Sport has water coming in thru the firewall and onto the driver and passenger side carpet when it rains. Sticking a hose into the air intake on the front of the Jeep and turning the water on, I can see water coming out the bottom of the Jeep where you would normally expect it to and if I turn the hose on full force, water begins to come in behind the glove box and the area near the brake pedal (not sure of that). Looking at the L shaped hose that runs into the engine compartment which is I assume for a/c condensation, that nose is bone dry, nothing ever comes out of the hose even with the a/c on. (a/c) just recharged and you can feel some cooling). My question is does the fresh air and a/c and heater share the same "box area"? If the discharge tubes are plugged with "junk" would this make some water enter the Jeep?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

if the ac condenser drain line is clogged the water will end up on the floor,
not to sure what u mean tho about spraying water with the hose?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by elchucko
My 2k Sport has water coming in thru the firewall and onto the driver and passenger side carpet when it rains. Sticking a hose into the air intake on the front of the Jeep and turning the water on, I can see water coming out the bottom of the Jeep where you would normally expect it to and if I turn the hose on full force, water begins to come in behind the glove box and the area near the brake pedal (not sure of that). Looking at the L shaped hose that runs into the engine compartment which is I assume for a/c condensation, that nose is bone dry, nothing ever comes out of the hose even with the a/c on. (a/c) just recharged and you can feel some cooling). My question is does the fresh air and a/c and heater share the same "box area"? If the discharge tubes are plugged with "junk" would this make some water enter the Jeep?
just join today I have the same problem water on the passenger side my heater box leaks when water goes into the cowl if you remove your glove box and when it rains you will see where your leak is on that side as far as the driver side I'm not sure. I'm still searching for a fix
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I've read about people saying if your passenger side floor is wet it's most likely a leaky heater core. I've also read somebody saying they found a sneaky leak that would come in from under their FM /AM antenna and just run down the wire.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Leaky heater core would show up as losing anti-freeze from radiator. Let me assure all the comments made here have been explored and eliminated. In the end I also began having a rapping sound when starting from cold (piston slap) and I sold the thing on Craigslist. Yes, the buyer knew of the problems. I put a *****load of money in that Jeep (rebuild front end, new windshield and more). I would have kept the Jeep but in the end....an endless pit money hog) which Jeeps are known for. I owned a 1993 (bought new) and a 2006 Liberty(bought new), both of which we not problem free. The 93, transfer case the Liberty the rear axle (3x!). Still, I'd love to have a problem free Sport. Jeep is in my blood but geeesz, give me a break.