Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Washer Tank Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 L
Default Washer Tank Replacement

How do u remove the driver side fender off of a 99 XJ? I need to replace the washer tank, but just need to know how to remove the fender. Please Help
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dont remove the fender

DON'T remove the fender. first you must remove the fender flares. The bolts are inside the fender well. spray em good with pb blaster in advance. After u have the flares and their mounting harware removed ( 10mm deep socket) remove the plastic inner fender well. It is held on with plastic push in clips. Theres a tool for that but a screwdriver will do. Some will be re-useable but they can be found at the local auto parts store cheap. Now look up inside the fender well to see the tank. It should have a 2 pumps attached . Just pull the pumps out of the tank. No tools required for that. they will just push back in later. Look under the hood, there is a bolt on the inner fender well next to the filler neck, remove that. There is another bolt on the lower part of the tank. Look straight down diagonally opposite from where the first bolt is and u will see it. remove that and its out. If you look straight down where the hood latch pin is on the drivers side you will see the second bolt. I just replaced a defective washer pump.
The following users liked this post:
lawsoncl (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, why do you need to replace the tank? If its leaking it may just be leaking from one of the 2 washer pump hoses. Before you replace it remove the inner fender well and check those hoses. Just fill the tank then look in there. If the hose is leaking you will see that. Mine had a bad front pump and a leak in the rear pump hose.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Squid
BTW, why do you need to replace the tank? If its leaking it may just be leaking from one of the 2 washer pump hoses. Before you replace it remove the inner fender well and check those hoses. Just fill the tank then look in there. If the hose is leaking you will see that. Mine had a bad front pump and a leak in the rear pump hose.
My 2001 tank is leaking
If I go to fill it, it just pours out at the joint/seam where it was molded together
I got one today from a JY that had fluid still in it, hence it was good.
I plan to replace it this week
My pumps and level sender work fine
Old 08-03-2021, 03:54 PM

Year: 1998
Default Screwed Up

Originally Posted by XJRedneck94
How do u remove the driver side fender off of a 99 XJ? I need to replace the washer tank, but just need to know how to remove the fender. Please Help
I installed new Fender Flares and I knew that by drilling into the driver side fender I could have drilled into the reservoir tank and they it would start leaking so I did, and it did, start leaking. Can I get to the tank Reservoir inside of the well by removing the fender well cover or is there an easier way?
Old 08-03-2021, 03:55 PM

Year: 1998
Default Screwed Up

Originally Posted by Al Jurado Jr
I installed new Fender Flares and I knew that by drilling into the driver side fender I could have drilled into the reservoir tank and they it would start leaking so I did, and it did, start leaking. Can I get to the tank Reservoir inside of the well by removing the fender well cover or is there an easier way?
Vehicle:1998 Cherokee 4.0