Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Want to replace oil filter o-ring...what am I in for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Want to replace oil filter o-ring...what am I in for?

Looks like the Jeep is springing a little bit of a leak down by the oil filter. I noticed this when I bought the car last year and it doesn't look like it has gotten any worse since then but I figured I should go ahead and get this taken care of.

I do have a T60 torx bit with a socket base (I don't think I can remove the torx head however).

I do have the kit already, but I am just looking for some ideas on how to make this job as painless as possible. I did try and do it once long ago, but gave up within 10 minutes because none of my wrenches would fit in the space I needed to work in.

I've got an oil change coming up pretty soon, and it would be awesome to get this thing out of the way so I don't have to worry about it again.

Ideas?

EDIT: for the 96' Cherokee with the 4.0 HO engine
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

the T60 is the right size that fits it right? Because some jeeps have different sizes.

What I did was buy a cheap t 60 torx, pounded it out of the socket. then grinded it down so a (whatever size the torx is) SHALLOW socket fit over it.
I actually had to grind down both sides of it to get it small enough to get a ratchet in there(mine was stuck on good) , just dont make it to small, or else it wont fit properly.

then I took out the one mount mount bracket bolt that is right beside the oil filter adapter bolt, to give a bit more room.

After I did all of that, I used this from the top with a extra wrench on it for more leverage to get it off.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_3-8%22-Drive-Flex-Handle-12%22-Gear-Wrench_25984173-P_N3416_T|GRP2078____

I used that because its the only thing i had that could fit in the spot that had leverage. I could only fit wrenches on it from the bottom, but couldn't get a good grip/any leverage to get it off.

There's also 3 o rings. not just 1.

It took me a few hours to get it out, but if i had to do it again it would probably only take 1 hour or less since i know exactly what to do.

Last edited by Slugger; 11-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I pounded out the hex fitting from the socket. My heep used a hex style instead of torx. The remaining piece was about 1" long and was easily able to fish around the frame and motor mount. I then put a box end wrench on that and finished it off by pounding on a 2x4 with a mallet. Definitely not pretty, but it worked.
X2 there are 3 orings in the jeep kit. Only a couple of bucks. Took less than an hour.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 AM

Just bought a 95 cherokee about 3 weeks ago. No oil leaks. After I got it home(60 mile drive) it set for a few days, then every time I let it run it would blow about a quart out every 10 minutes. Sure enough it was that O-ring.

All I had was the typical one piece T60, I broke out the grinder and made it fit a 9/16 wrench, put a bar over and pulled like a SOB(from under the truck). It was TIGHT... Anyways, after you break that one bolt free thats it.

O ring set cost like 12 bucks at autozone, but it was in a kit with like 15. (i wanted it quick.) Turns out of the 3 on the oil filter adapter, only 1 was bad. Couldn't even tell it by looking at it.

To let you know. I tried for 2 dang hours to break it loose with just a 10 inch long wrench. Almost impossible. IF its anything like mine, you might have better luck asking someone to hold the bit in while you pull with both hands from below with a bar over the wrench.

Last edited by viogrep; 11-09-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Year: 1996

With a little leeway, I can fit the torx bit onto the adapter itself but I do not have enough room to attach a socket wrench on there. The space is just way too tight.

So, what I am thinking is maybe trying to see if I can find an L-shaped Torx bit that size. I am sure it's going to be a special order online thing only, but atleast that way I can fit it on there, then go and get a steel pipe from a hardware store and yank the damn thing out.

Also, I need to know if I have to reapply loctite onto the adapter threading when it goes back in? If so, which one do I go with?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

this thread will help a lot i think

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oil...r-o-ring-9625/