Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Voltage Probs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Voltage Probs

Ok got my Cherokee a few weeks ago, attempted to drive it home and had a wiring short and a harness burn up, Guy I bought it from picked it up towed it to his shop, and put new harnesses for lighting and some behind the dash. So I tried to trip home again tonight, Runs and drives awesome, But the Voltage is dropping, When I first started it, It was sitting right at 13 volts on the guage, Hit the lights and it dropped below 13 and slowly went down more on the ride here, Even had the guage drop and all the lights dim at the first light I came to so I kept the rpms up the rest of the trip. With it running the charging system tester at my 2nd job is showing 14+ volts (guage still reads below 13...Cluster is from a newer XJ if that matters) It starts every time just a little sluggish, Im thinking battery might be the culprit, Im gonna take the Optima out my Yota and see what happens, Anyone have any other ideas
Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

first off double check with voltage meter gauges arent always reliable then clean all your your conections battery,alternator whatnot i had this problem when i first got my jeep turned out tha battery cable was ready to pull out of the connectorand if that dont work then have your alternator tested
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Alternator has been tested, new cable ends on the battery, Im throwing my optima in tomorrow and see what unfolds, I got an extra triple pod with a volt guage Im gonna throw in and make sure my guage is on
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Well my battery is a little weak but the prob seems to be the guage heres a comparison, after letting it idle for about 15 mins this is what I had

So I got an extra guage I had sitting around and just hooked it up to the battery and had this (Same rpms same everything)

So thinking its a guage isse, So I'll be installing this white face along with oil and temp in the Jeep just for safety sake.