Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

vibration while accelerating and stalling issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default vibration while accelerating and stalling issue.

I have a 99cherokee sport and once in a blue moon my jeep acts like it is going to stall out but when I give it gas it acts like its misfiring then runs normal and fine. Im stumped it only does it once in awhile. And when I accelerate I feel vibrations cominf from my rear area and can feel it in my seat let go off gas it goes away. I do have movement in my driveshaft the front u joint will this cause this and what is causinf my jeeo to stall once in a blue moon
Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by zombiehunter99
I have a 99cherokee sport and once in a blue moon my jeep acts like it is going to stall out but when I give it gas it acts like its misfiring then runs normal and fine. Im stumped it only does it once in awhile. And when I accelerate I feel vibrations cominf from my rear area and can feel it in my seat let go off gas it goes away. I do have movement in my driveshaft the front u joint will this cause this and what is causinf my jeeo to stall once in a blue moon
My cherokee did the stalling crap first take off if it sat and was restarted. It has not done it since I replaced the front o2 sensor. I did not have a check engine light either.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not drive shaft. The vibrations would continue when off the gas since its still turning.

My guess is spark plug misfire. You tried a tune up? (Plugs, wires, distributor).
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM

I replaced my spark plugs. Replaced my trans mount my trans would hit my floorboard.idk what is causing my random stalling no engine light. But the vibrations is only when I accelerate at cruising speed its slight vibration but not as bad. What is going on
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

the front wont cause it. in 2wd the front just free spins, with no torgue applied to it. is your jeep stock ride height? check the ends of the rear driveshaft, since it sounds like the problem is in the rear, if thats where your feeling it. check the u joints, and where they connect to the rear end(grab the yolk and try to shake it up and down, side to side. it shouldnt) and check the slip yolk and do the same.

I'm having similar symptoms in mine under hard acceleration while cruising(passing some one) but its hardly noticable, so i havent looked into what my cause is
Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 PM

My jeep is stock ride height. I checked my u joints on my rear drive shaft the u joint connecting to my rear end is tight. But the one that slips into my trans moves side to side and up and down I think I found my culprit