Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibration when stopped in drive!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vibration when stopped in drive!

When my 98 xj comes to a stop at a red light, sign or anytime I come to a stop in drive it vibrates something in the front driveline in front of the dash under the hood. Seems to be on drivers side but I can only get it to happen with foot on the brake in drive. I tried coming to a stop with the parking brake on in drive so I could take a look around but it only happens when front brakes are applied and It is loud!! I have ordered new motor mounts (oem replacement from qtrec) should be in next week. I'll also be checking the block bracket bolts this weekend. The jeep also carries the vibration when I accelerate away from stop until about 20 mph on normal acceleration. The more skinny pedal the longer it stays.

I have searched google an the forum thoroughly and others have had this issue but no info on the fix was ever posted. Hopefully we can get the new motor mounts in and fix the issue. However I worry about the possibility of tcase output shaft.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Try having a buddy hold the brake while you look?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM

I will do that tomorrow, I've ordered new motor mounts as they are the originals currently. I needed to replace oil filter adapter orings and do an oil change so I'll keep this thread updated. I titled it so it would be easily accessible in search and would at least eliminate the obvious quick fixes.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM

well i got under the hood and checked the motor mounts today... the passenger side looked fine while the drivers side was not: the bushing inside the mount had been pushed forward cuasing the block mount bracket to contact the thin metal around the rubber mount. it appears that the engine has been pushed forward on the drivers side. in my attempt to diagnose this as the cause of the vibration i used a flathead screwdriver to pry the two peices of metal apart just enough to slip in a small piece of cloth. this seems to have dampened the vibration almost entirely. i can still just barely hear it.

i have motor mounts shipped, but how will i reposition the engine to sit correctly in the mount? loosen the transmount?

heres a picture of how the mount sits in the block bracket, for some reason it flipped the image when i uploaded it but you can see how it is off kilter

Vibration when stopped in drive!-image.jpg
Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"but how will i reposition the engine to sit correctly in the mount?"

Remove fasteners on the transmount, BFPB, come along, whatevea it takes. Also replace all the fasteners from the mounts to the engine both sides before they shear off.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

Replace all the mounts :both motor mounts and the trans mount. My 01 had a vibration in drive foot on brake too. I replaced all the mounts its quiet . I used a 2x4 stood on end and a hyd. jack to lift the on the oil pan enough to replace the mounts I did them a side at a time. Be careful and dont place the 2x4 in the center of the oil pan.

Last edited by Aljay; 03-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.