Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibration in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vibration in reverse.

Good afternoon all. I have searched and followed a few recommendations on this forum already for similar issues.

The vehicle in question is 2000 cherokee sport, 4.0l, 6 cylinder.

I had a clanking noise on my jeep when coming to a full stop. After looking up the information, I have replaced the transmission mount. When I replaced the transmission mount it had a bad vibration in reverse and a barely noticeable vibration while over 2000 RPMs. After searching the forum for vibrations under these circumstances I was left with u-joints or transmission mount, so naturally I reseated the transmission mount and discovered it was not tightened all the way. When this didn't correct the vibrations, I checked the u-joints and replaced both of them on the rear shafts (There was a good bit of play in the shaft). This didn't correct the vibrations. The motor is not sloped to one side, nor is it jumping or shifting when you shift gears.

What else is there to check? I was thinking maybe motor mounts could still be bad or maybe a vacuum line or sensor? I am at a loss at what could be causing the vibration.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Check the transmission bell housing to engine block mount bolts for security. Four bolts.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Can you tell us which specific transmission mount you used? I recently installed an aftermarket transmission mount, and had to replace it after only 3-4 days, for similar reasons. It did not provide the appropriate clearance needed by the exhaust pipe coming over the cross member. So at certain RPMs, and most notably in reverse, the exhaust would rumble and vibrate on the crossmember.

Swapping the cheap aftermarket transmission mount with an OEM mount solved the problem.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Can you tell us which specific transmission mount you used? I recently installed an aftermarket transmission mount, and had to replace it after only 3-4 days, for similar reasons. It did not provide the appropriate clearance needed by the exhaust pipe coming over the cross member. So at certain RPMs, and most notably in reverse, the exhaust would rumble and vibrate on the crossmember.

Swapping the cheap aftermarket transmission mount with an OEM mount solved the problem.
It was an Anchor brand transmission mount purchased from an O'Reily's auto part store.