Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibration at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0
Default Vibration at highway speed

87 waggy 4.0 4wd

Morning all,

The jeep has new shocks (front and rear) and the tires were balanced fairly recently. Increasing speed causes shaking and I'm trying to narrow down the cause. It's bearable at 55, but not driveable at 70.

The curious bit is that when I am driving on a straight length of road and turn the steering wheel slightly to the left there is an increase in the shaking/vibration. This is apparent from 45 mph up.

Does this indicate anything in particular? What's the best way to diagnose the shaking?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

From what I've read on here. Check the tie rod ends, wheel bearings, frozen u-joints, bent rim, rim could be not seated all the way, steering gear box,broken belt in tire. Try those it'll give you a start
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Do a search on here for "Death Wobble" and see if that sound like what you have. You should come up with several post on it and what to look for.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: I6

Ya all to much of threads. Bit do not think it's the steering stabilizer no matter what people tell ya cause the steering stabilizer is not your problem. A new one only masks the problem
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM

It may be DW, but the posts I've seen in the search suggest that the vibration is the result of hitting a pothole or other obstacle. Mine is a steady vibration that changes intensity with speed.

How do you check the TREs?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put your back tires on the front and front on the back and re-test. If there is no change, your tires are out of the picture but don't rule them out if you haven't checked the easy stuff. I had a similar problem with a set of tires that had a belt issue that drove fine until you got just over highway speed and then the vibration in the wheel was very noticealble. Got new tires and problem went away.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM

New shocks, new motor mounts, lubed front drive shaft, new tires (balanced) and still a terrible vibration. Brakes are new and the Jeep does not pull to a side when driving or braking. All the front components for steering appear to be sound.

New u-joint on front end of front driveshaft. Mechanic said CV joint on rear of front drive shaft did not need to be replaced. I thought there were u-joints on both ends, but I must have been mistaken.

The vibration increases with speed and there is no issue with steering.It feels like the Jeep is going to fly apart, but I do not lose steering control. I do not think it's DW.

The rear diff is making noise. Would the u-joints on the rear drive shaft cause this vibration? Very distressing to not be able to drive over 45.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrask
turn the steering wheel slightly to the left there is an increase in the shaking/vibration.
That is often one of the front axle shaft u-joints going bad, vibration that worsens when turning. The front u-joints don't do much until you turn, then they start swiveling. Have you checked them, the ones right next to the front hubs? I'd put my money on that being the issue right there.

Rear driveshaft u-joints can cause one heck of a vibration but you normally feel it in the seat of your pants more than the steering wheel. Any clanking when you shift into D or R?
Anyone check for bent or out of balance front or rear driveshafts?

It's a CV joint on the front driveshaft, but not the sort found on modern front wheel drive vehicles like you might be picturing. It's a double cardan joint made with a pair of back-to-back standard U-joints.

Last edited by Radi; 08-13-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

No noise when turning, and the slight issue resolved when I replaced the motor mounts.

The front drive shaft is balanced, the rear has not been checked.

No clanking when shifting into different gears. Just a teeth rattling vibrations that matches speed on a straight away.

What's involved in changing out the rear u-joints? Is one brand better than another? Is this something a shop should do, or is it reasonable to do with hand tools?

If shop is better, what should I be looking at for labor cost?

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM

I had a similar issue when I first bought my XJ. Thought I fixed the problem with new pads and rotors, till i put larger tires and 3in lift on it and problem returned. Had the steering stabilizer replaced and it fixed the problem.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Have someone drive beside you and try to spot what is vibrating.
Could even be the holes on the rim are out of round and allowing the wheel to wobble