Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default vibration

Hi I am brand new, first post. I have a 1999 cherokee with 5 inch of lift and SYE, getting bad vibration when driving anywhere from 20 mph on up, worse at 28mph. Took to mechanic, put on lift to drive while we watched and felt axles, drivelines, U joints and so on. Everything seemed smooth, took out front drive line and drove and 90% of vibration gone, found one bad u joint on front drive shaft and replaced, put driveline back on and vibration still there. Everything is super clean on this jeep and driveline looks great with balance wieghts still attached. There is a little noise in the transfer case when we had it on the lift when speeding up and down, all fluids look good..... Any suggestions? I'll try to get picture and more info soon, Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Tommy's Jeep
Hi I am brand new, first post. I have a 1999 cherokee with 5 inch of lift and SYE, getting bad vibration when driving anywhere from 20 mph on up, worse at 28mph. Took to mechanic, put on lift to drive while we watched and felt axles, drivelines, U joints and so on. Everything seemed smooth, took out front drive line and drove and 90% of vibration gone, found one bad u joint on front drive shaft and replaced, put driveline back on and vibration still there. Everything is super clean on this jeep and driveline looks great with balance wieghts still attached. There is a little noise in the transfer case when we had it on the lift when speeding up and down, all fluids look good..... Any suggestions? I'll try to get picture and more info soon, Thanks
The front DS has 3 u-joints and a centering ball in the cardan joint. Most check the u's but not the ball. Also are the yokes in phase? Maybe slip shaft got separated without alignment marks?
Maybe needs a closer look?

Last edited by bobvalli; 11-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Thanks bob I'll give that front DS another look over, hopefully its that centering ball or the yokes miss alighned and not in the transfer case
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Tommy's Jeep
Thanks bob I'll give that front DS another look over, hopefully its that centering ball or the yokes miss alighned and not in the transfer case
no problem