Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibes under 25mph, new lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Vibes under 25mph, new lift

Alright so I got a new lift installed the re6130 (4.5" Rubicon express). It was done at the dealership (friend of a friend works there). I've been driving it for about 2-3 weeks and haven't had any issues. But today I heard a "clink-clink-clink-clink-clink" (like my fan was hitting something) then had some vibes on the front end (not as fierce as death wobble tho). Then after 25mpf the vibes stopped. Seems like it only happens on acceleration between 15-25mph. It's a 90 Cherokee and I also had a used D44 installed from an 89 at the same time. Everything was running smoothly beforehand and everything was running smoothly for 2-3 weeks after the install but now I have this issue.
From looking around on the forums it seems like it could be a driveshaft or ujoint. But It feels like it's only coming from the front end. My tires are in dire need of replacing as well, like I don't wanna wheel it at the moment that's how bad they are. I just picked up some 33s but haven't gotten rims yet. So I'm not sure if it's just coincidence that it's my tires and this is happening after the lift or if it's something to do with the lift itself. I do have tcase drop installed and do not have a sye. Sorry if this post is bouncing around, I'm posting from my phone at work. Gonna check the drive shaft/ujoints after work. Anyone have insight as to what it could be or other areas to look at?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Get an SYE and install new u joints.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Pull the Dshaft and check it by hand. If they feel the least bit notchy, there's your problem. If you change them, do the centering ball too. Sticker shock on that puppy.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Would it be a sye even if I didn't have this issue after the lift? It started 2-3 weeks after the install. I could see it being the u joint for sure but I didn't need a sye last week when it was lifted why the need for one now?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jakers
Would it be a sye even if I didn't have this issue after the lift? It started 2-3 weeks after the install. I could see it being the u joint for sure but I didn't need a sye last week when it was lifted why the need for one now?
different driving patterns .. May have been fine but the angle wore out the u joints causing the vibes now .. I've seen it happen before. A buddy went through 4 u joints til he believed me.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

It didn't happen on the way home... Weird. But I was on level surface and wiggled the front and rear drive shafts. Rear had no play. Front was a real small amount of play I imagine if I jack it up and get the weight off of it the small amount of play will turn into a bit more. Unfortunately since the lift I don't have a jack big enough (other than the hilift) to get it off the ground. So I guess this is an excuse to buy a new jack and stands.

Would it make sense that front u joint is going bad if my problem is intermittent?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jakers
It didn't happen on the way home... Weird. But I was on level surface and wiggled the front and rear drive shafts. Rear had no play. Front was a real small amount of play I imagine if I jack it up and get the weight off of it the small amount of play will turn into a bit more. Unfortunately since the lift I don't have a jack big enough (other than the hilift) to get it off the ground. So I guess this is an excuse to buy a new jack and stands. Would it make sense that front u joint is going bad if my problem is intermittent?
it's possible. I'd replace them
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

you don't need a sye. although one would not hurt.

it is likely your u-joints. as mentioned, different pattern now.

with your jeep in neutral and the wheels blocked so it won't roll. get under and grab the shaft on each side of the u-joint and twist. if they need replacing, you will feel the play. you won't feel it if it is in park.

you can do the same with axle shaft joints too.

did you get an alignment yet?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caged
you don't need a sye. although one would not hurt.

it is likely your u-joints. as mentioned, different pattern now.

with your jeep in neutral and the wheels blocked so it won't roll. get under and grab the shaft on each side of the u-joint and twist. if they need replacing, you will feel the play. you won't feel it if it is in park.

you can do the same with axle shaft joints too.

did you get an alignment yet?
Does the vehicle need to be off the ground to test for play or can I just keep it on a flat surface? I personally did not get an alignment afterwards, I would have hoped that the guy at the dealership aligned it but he didn't say and I didn't ask. I don't wanna get it aligned just yet cause I'm going to be installing 33s within the next month so I don't wanna pay for alignment now and again in a month. That's why I'm trying to troubleshoot anything that it could be other than bad tires and alignment. I'd hate to buy new rims and put the tires on and have it be the joints. I'd rather put the money on things that need to be fixed instead of upgrades.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

either/or. but on the flat ground, be sure to block those wheels so the jeep won't roll.

as for an alignment, get one now if they didn't do one. it won't matter for wheels and tires later.

without an alignment, you will burn through your new tires in days. i've seen it where the rubber from the tires was melted to the side of the jeep to where there wasn't much left on them.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
either/or. but on the flat ground, be sure to block those wheels so the jeep won't roll. as for an alignment, get one now if they didn't do one. it won't matter for wheels and tires later. without an alignment, you will burn through your new tires in days. i've seen it where the rubber from the tires was melted to the side of the jeep to where there wasn't much left on them.
new wheels and tires WILL make a difference on the alignment.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I'll be doing the alignment immediately after the tires (same day). Gonna try and get it done next weekend.