Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Various Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Various Electrical Issues

Hello,
Recently bought a 98 XJ and I'm having various electrical issues. I'm in the process of researching and trying to trouble shoot, but not being a mechanic or electrician makes this more challenging. I tried using the search option but didn't come across any that addressed these issues.

Issues are:
Power windows:
I can put all 4 windows up and down from the drivers controls, but the window's don't move when using each individual control.

Power door locks:
again, can control from drivers panel, but I don't think each doors lock button will lock/unlock. (I need to double check this, I could be wrong, they may work fine)

Radio:
only get AM, not FM
only drivers speaker works, passengers side doesn't
(No speakers in the back of the jeep, only up by the front doors. How difficult is it to replace radio and add 2 speakers in the back??)

I think that's about it for electrical issues, unless I come across more.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions on where to start. Is it possible that these issues are all symptoms of a larger problem?

Other issues:
I'm replacing the CPS, part should arrive tomorrow. (having trouble starting, CEL code P1391)

Replacing headliner. already pulled it down, need to repair headboard

A/C doesn't blow cold: will work on this once I get other things working

Any help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated.

One last question, is a Haynes manual on ebay for $18-20 worth it???
Jeep did not come with owners manual,

Thanks

ROH
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Issues are:
Power windows:
I can put all 4 windows up and down from the drivers controls, but the window's don't move when using each individual control.

Is the Window Lock switch on?

Power door locks:
again, can control from drivers panel, but I don't think each doors lock button will lock/unlock. (I need to double check this, I could be wrong, they may work fine)

Radio:
only get AM, not FM
only drivers speaker works, passengers side doesn't
(No speakers in the back of the jeep, only up by the front doors. How difficult is it to replace radio and add 2 speakers in the back??)

Check out crutchfield.com. You enter your vehicle info and they tell you what fits. Excellent customer service, too.

One last question, is a Haynes manual on ebay for $18-20 worth it???
Jeep did not come with owners manual,

If it's new/like new condition, and that includes shipping, I'd say yes. Check out amazon.com and maybe a local auto parts store for comparison.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

as far as the radio goes, no FM might just be that the radio has gone bad. chrysler radios arent the greatest, ive seen several fail in one way or another. i would say check your grounds, or the antenna, but if you get am, then probably not those.

wiring up speakers is easy. goto the junkyard and find a xj with a rear sound bar and run wire for the speakers above the headliner(which you already have out) and bolt the sound bar into place. the rear should already be set up to hold the sound bar, since its easier to make them all the same at the factory(as far as bracketry goes) and just install upgraded items(like the sound bar)

if i recall, the other doors get the power feed from the drivers door/window switch, so that very well may be the culprit of your locks and window issues. the center section of trim where the radio is just pulls off, and then 4 philips screws to remove the bracket for the radio. it doesnt take but a few minutes, i did it in mine today in less than 5 minutes.

and i just thought about this...if the door locks work at all doors, and the windows only work from the master switch, i suppose the window lock button(to keep little kids from rolling down the windows and falling out) could have gone bad and stayed in the locked position. either way, i new master switch may be in order.

it you understand wiring diagrams, PM me and i'll email you a copy of the wiring pdf i have for my 2000xj. should be about identical info, just possibly different color wiring.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM

regarding the windows, I check the window lock and it was off. Maybe it has gone bad.

I think the radio might be bad as well, but wanted to get some opinions from people with more knowledge. I'll try to check out a jy for rear sound bar. It would be easier to add it now than later.

Thanks for all the info.

ROH
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

email sent