Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Valve cover vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Valve cover vents

Ok been here a while reading an reading. Love this place. I got a 2000 XJ totally stock. Had cracked head replaced and it is back on road. It is now my daughters ride but the rear vent to the intake manifold 90 is broken. Tried jb weld but just not holding like I want. I can't get it out an do it right. Anyone know where you can get one? Oh and you know those parent who live vicariously through their children? I think this jeep is my way.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I did mine last summer when I had the valve cover off to put a new gasket on. I went to Car Quest, but they said that elbow's a dealer-only part. I had the parts guy call the dealership and it was pretty cheap so I had him order it. Pretty straight forward and easy. I also got new rubber grommets and vacuum tubes at the same time.

DEFINITELY make sure you get a new rubber grommet for the elbow (also dealership part IIRC) so it seals onto the valve cover. My old grommet was hard and brittle - it felt like plastic and I had to destroy it and the old elbow to get them out. I was glad I had already taken the valve cover off because it disintegrated and would have fouled things up pretty bad in the valves had it still been on the engine. You may want to consider doing a valve cover gasket job too if you can't just pull the elbow out of the grommet by hand! (with all new stuff I can disassemble/reassemble it all by hand...)

Also, the vacuum tube to the intake that comes off the elbow was hard and brittle too so I ordered one of those while I was at it and was glad I did because the old one snapped while I was wrestling it off the elbow!

Mine's a 96 so maybe your rubber and plastic parts won't be so brittle and you'll be able to just pull things apart by hand without having to get out the snips and razor knives!

... and watch out if it's brittle, the broken parts on mine cut me fingers bloody!