Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

valve cover gasket and throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default valve cover gasket and throttle body cleaning

i was bored two days ago and thought i would cure my low idle issue and leaky valve cover gasket at the same time so i started pulling junk from the intake.

this is where i started. i had read some threads in the past on people have to fold their pinch seams just above the back of the engine to make the cover clear the rockers but i did not have that trouble. i found out if i lift the back and front as close to level as possible, i can slide the valve cover off with out hitting anything.

anyways, what started this fun was i had a dirty air filter from dunking the headlights in a deep mud puddle. i pulled everything off the fender and cleaned out all the hidden mud from everywhere. then i put in my new air filter and started it up. the idle was sitting a about 1100rpm after so i thought i had missed a vacuum line but found nothing on recheck. i got some wd-40 and started looking for vacuum leaks and lo and behold, the injectors are leaking at the lower o-rings. i pull the throttle body and clean the iac (idle air controller) as i have owned previous jeep 4.0 engines so i know about that issue and found this interesting little thing on the side of the throttle body

looks like weber made the throttle bodies for amc or renault or whoever back in the day. anyways, i clean the rest of the throttle body, since it was off and pull the fuel rail and clean the injectors and install new o-rings. i also pulled hte valve cover to replace the gasket because mine leaked like crazy and i was getting annoyed by it. i scrapped all the old rubber gasket off and wpied everything down with carb cleaner and a rag and then put down a line of rtv on the head and on the valve cover. i put the gasket on a dropped the covr in place and finger tightened everything up. then i turned hte bolts about 3/4 more to tighten them down while the rtv dried. while that was getting nice and dry, i put the injectors back in and snapped hte rail in place. everything went together nicely and hte jeep started right up
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

did you solve any problems doing all this work did it run any better overall?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

well, it idles higher in gear now, at about 700 instead of 500. i still have an issue with high idle out of gear, about 1000rpm so i have to fix that. it takes off like crazy from a stop now, no more feeling like it has no power. i was getting 13.5mpg on the tank and had to fill up as soon as i was done doing this work so hopefully i will get better mileage now but we will see.

i'd say that yes, it runs better but i created a high idle issue that i did not have before so that is a bummer
Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

yeah that is a bummer man. Check make sure the t/b and everything is sealed good and you dont have anything leaking spray it with some carb cleaner maybe you got an air leak. I will spray out my t/b tomorow man thanks