Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

vacuum leak???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default vacuum leak???????

Hello, This is my first post on a forum.....be kind!
here's the scoop.
I just picked up a 99 xj sport. it's very clean but has a couple of issues.
1. the previous owner told me the cruise control does not work
2. when i start the jeep, then turn on the air a loud "flap" sound comes from the defrost vent.
I have come across some info online that these could be related.
any insight?

one more thing...i went to the auto parts store to have them get a reading (OBD scanner) and it would not connect/link with the jeep.
any insight?

thanks!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 PM

PS...will this forum send me an email or something when people reply? or do i just have to search the title and find this thread?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by builtxj1
PS...will this forum send me an email or something when people reply? or do i just have to search the title and find this thread?
if you start a thread using mobil site IIrC it does. But the app doesnt
Old 06-13-2015, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

For you issue. Welcome aboard. You should fill you jeeps info in your signature so people know right away how to help you better. You need to go to the passenger fender area and you'll see the vac lines that go down to the vac ball behind the bumper. I know cruiser or someone will post the pic. Also check all those vac lines by the passenger fender area for any cracking, etc. as for the OBDii, check the wiring behind the port. There will be a lot of info people will give you. As long as you're open to criticism and are willing to get your hands dirty, you'll be help greatly and accepted.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:14 PM

No problem with getting my hands dirty, I'm real good at that. I see the vac ball…it seems good, is there something I should look at?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by builtxj1
No problem with getting my hands dirty, I'm real good at that. I see the vac ball…it seems good, is there something I should look at?
there should be a vac line connected to it. Follow that all the way back to the firewall and where it splits to the cruise servo
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Here's a link to pics of the vacuum tubes in your engine bay. Click the image to make it larger, click it again to enlarge it some more.

Some pics are of pre-99 XJ's.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/3212409
Old 06-13-2015, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

To subscribe to your thread click on the "Thread Tools" just above your thread then subscribe. You will get an email showing the latest reply.

Concerning the code reader connecting to your Jeep... Does the code reader power up when connected to your Data Link Connector (DLC), or is it that it can't communicate with the Jeep?

The DLC is powered by the same fuse as the headlamps so if your headlamps work the fuse for the DLC should be good.

The DLC is grounded at the engine block, on the right rear side. Attached to the oil dipstick tube attaching stud. It's called G102. See if the wire ring terminal(s) are connected. If so, remove the nut and wire ring terminal(s) and scrub them clean using 400 grit sandpaper.

G102:

Name:  G102.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  70.9 KB
Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
To subscribe to your thread click on the "Thread Tools" just above your thread then subscribe. You will get an email showing the latest reply. Concerning the code reader connecting to your Jeep... Does the code reader power up when connected to your Data Link Connector (DLC), or is it that it can't communicate with the Jeep? The DLC is powered by the same fuse as the headlamps so if your headlamps work the fuse for the DLC should be good. The DLC is grounded at the engine block, on the right rear side. Attached to the oil dipstick tube attaching stud. It's called G102. See if the wire ring terminal(s) are connected. If so, remove the nut and wire ring terminal(s) and scrub them clean using 400 grit sandpaper. G102:
thanks for some of the clarifications ken. Knew someone good would come along lol
Old 06-14-2015, 01:40 AM

Thanks guys!
The replies were helpful.
The last thing I need to do is clean the ground and try to retest. I guess the "flap" at the defrost is normal from what I can put together, I'll just need to get with some rigs out on the trail and check that out. And for the vacuum thing, I inspected everything I could, tried the propane trick at all points, blew cigar smoke…and im just going to have to roll with believing everything is good. As for the cruise control.....it's working!!!!!