Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Using Plywood to Repair a Rotted Floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Using Plywood to Repair a Rotted Floor

Anyone ever try using plywood as a temporary fix for a rotted floor. Preasure treated would probably not be good due to toxic fumes from the chemicals used in pressure treated wood. Maybe masonite would be better?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Home Depot sells 3'x4' sheets of heavy gauge galvanized sheet metal for under $10. Look in the section with the mechanical ducting

Invest in a couple sheets of that, some machine screws, and some bathroom (flexible) caulk. Cut to fit, caulk between the edge seams and the floor, and screw down.

I did this as a temp fix until i can buy some new floor pans - works great.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dukie564
Home Depot sells 3'x4' sheets of heavy gauge galvanized sheet metal for under $10. Look in the section with the mechanical ducting

Invest in a couple sheets of that, some machine screws, and some bathroom (flexible) caulk. Cut to fit, caulk between the edge seams and the floor, and screw down.

Awesome, adding to my list of things to do!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I got the same problem on my 97, I thought my cherokee was a lemon until i found out that most of them have this issue.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Year: 1987

temp fix hell! run it like that till she dies!

i would definatly use the galvanized but if your in a pinch and its just laying around pressure treated wood is fine to use as long as you dont chew on it.... look up on ebay "naval jelly" i would brush that on before you put your plates down it actually causes a chemical reaction that turns converts rust back to metal and forms a protective primer coating on it. i bought a big bottle at an autobody shop for 20 bucks....
Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by cherokeemtnman
temp fix hell! run it like that till she dies!

i would definatly use the galvanized but if your in a pinch and its just laying around pressure treated wood is fine to use as long as you dont chew on it.... look up on ebay "naval jelly" i would brush that on before you put your plates down it actually causes a chemical reaction that turns converts rust back to metal and forms a protective primer coating on it. i bought a big bottle at an autobody shop for 20 bucks....
Where can i buy naval jelly not online? That sounds amazing.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:08 AM

I bought a full sheet ( 4' X 8' ) of sheet metal from a welding/metal supply house for $50.
Box of Stainless Steel Rivets for $30 I think it was.
Self Etching Primer $6.00/can
AUTOMOTIVE Seam Sealer $18 tube.

Buying sheet metal from Home Depot is a waste of $$$$$.

Supply houses will even sell you custom cut sheet metal to size, no need to buy a full sheet.

If you want to be creative and have a little more $$$, you could but Stainless Steel sheet metal, and rivet that in for repair.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 AM

some bathroom (flexible) caulk.
You DO NOT want to use Bathroom Caulk. It contains acids and can be problematic.

They make a special sealer for body panels called AUTOMOTIVE Seam Sealer. Of course if you only want a temporary repair and don't mind problems coming back .... go with the cheap stuff. 3M makes it, it is clear, paintable and more importantly SOLVENT BASED and thus FAST CURING !

Use the right stuff and the repair can be permanent.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd do a search for replacement floor panels. I think you can buy both sides for around $50 and they are already stamped to fit.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by robdiddy
Where can i buy naval jelly not online? That sounds amazing.
Auto stores sell it. They also sells rust converters in a spray can that does the same thing. Wal Mart also sells it in the auto section.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.O

I used 1/2 inch pressure treated plywood on my old 91. Both the front drivers side and the back drivers side. I never even screwed it down... just cut it from scrap wood on one of my job sites cleaned out the remaining floor as best I could and used 2 big tubes of epoxy resin to hold em down. Temp fix? NOPE, I left it that way for almost 2 years and never had a problem with the floor afterwards.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Originally Posted by KD3NE
Buying sheet metal from Home Depot is a waste of $$$$$.
Why would you say that? I got essentially the same size sheet you did, for 1/5 of the price. 20 gauge galvanized.

You DO NOT want to use Bathroom Caulk. It contains acids and can be problematic.
I fail to see how this would be problematic. Granted, for a permanent repair i would use a dedicated task product, but the product I used is flexible, paintable, waterproof, and bonds to metal. As long as someone reads the label and gets the correct product, i don't see how it's an issue at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Why would you say that? I got essentially the same size sheet you did, for 1/5 of the price. 20 gauge galvanized.
Try comparing like products. Price 16ga mild steel from Home Depot and compare it.

Home Depot 1'X1' 16 ga Weldable Steel - $10.61

Welding/Steel Supplier 4'X8' 16 ga Weldable Steel - $50.00

I fail to see how this would be problematic. Granted, for a permanent repair i would use a dedicated task product,
When I make a repair, I make it so that I don't have to go back in and do it again. If a repair is worth doing, it's worth doing it right so you only have to do it one time. I get paid from time to time to do these repairs for others, so I do them as a permanent repair only.

As far a sheet metal, body panel repairs go .... if I can get to both sides of the repair and it is safe to weld, I prefer welding but many times welding may not be safe to do on vehicles so I go with stainless steel rivets ( can't buy these at Home Depot ) and 3M Automotive Seam Sealer.

Wasn't trying to knock your method, just wanted to put out a method for a more permanent type of repair.

Sorry if you took offense.

Last edited by KD3NE; 03-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Some use legally aquired road signs to fill in the gap as well.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Wasn't trying to knock your method, just wanted to put out a method for a more permanent type of repair.

Sorry if you took offense.
None taken. It's meant to be temporary, i was just giving the OP a better temporary solution than plywood.

Quick Reply: Using Plywood to Repair a Rotted Floor