Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Used car dealers 'story' on C E L

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Used car dealers 'story' on C E L

Hello Everyone,
i'm going to drive a 2001 xj for sale today. I went yesterday, b ut it wasnt on the lot. When the salesman checked, he was told the mech's couldnt figure out why the cel wasnt going off. so, today, its all good. ahem......anyway, the solution? his quote...." someone had installed this sort of " co2 or gas purge valve upside down.. we turned it around, and the light went off. the day before, he said the actual bulb was burnt out,when they got it, so im trying to figure some logic in this. anyone have any suggestions before i go drive this, what to look for?
also, could he have been talking about an 02 sensor? really want a good xj, this is a one owner car fax deal, but dont like the thought of buying this with problems. any help is appreciated, thanks!!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Year: 1997

Dealership? How much are you paying for it?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 AM

6991.00 thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Any 12 year old vehicle needs a thorough "going over". Beware of the '00/'01 year model "0331" cylinder head cracking issue. Anybody will do/say just about anything to get a used car sold. Might be a good idea to have a independent mechanic give it a once over. Look further than the fresh wax job. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

if the cel is always on, sooner or later the bulb will burn out, and BTW I have seen the evap purge valve mounted upside down many times, and it will set a code for evap system P0442...small leak, because the valve will not close all the way when upside down
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 AM

great advise, thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM

any place i should look for rust? is there a thread on buying ?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Willys55
if the cel is always on, sooner or later the bulb will burn out, and BTW I have seen the evap purge valve mounted upside down many times, and it will set a code for evap system P0442...small leak, because the valve will not close all the way when upside down
This was the same problem my buddy's tj had.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I've got a 01' and every time my buddy shuts off my light, it turns back on within 20 or 30 miles. Be cautious, I've had my 01 for 2 years & it's a battle to get it inspected. My friend shuts it off long enough to pass my NYS inspection. I hate seeing that light on my dash!

Also, if you're looking to build it up, stay away from an 00 & 01 that has ABS, they also came with the D35 for the rear axle. I paid $4,800 for mine 2 years ago with 75,000 +/- miles.

Also, Power locks/windows are touchy, depends on what day of the week it is, if it was a full moon the night before & if the sky is blue, for them to work..... I think that is an issue with the 99, 00, & 01 XJ's. I can deal with it since my XJ is just a toy & not my DD.

Edit: Rust, My XJ looked really good all around & under, when i took my bumperetts off the rear bumper I had a rust hole the size of your fist in it. Run your hand on the under side of the bumperetts, the salt spray hits that & rots them out there.

Good Luck
Post Pictures

Last edited by caronaxtr; 01-26-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
I've got a 01' and every time my buddy shuts off my light, it turns back on within 20 or 30 miles. Be cautious, I've had my 01 for 2 years & it's a battle to get it inspected. My friend shuts it off long enough to pass my NYS inspection. I hate seeing that light on my dash!

Also, if you're looking to build it up, stay away from an 00 & 01 that has ABS, they also came with the D35 for the rear axle. I paid $4,800 for mine 2 years ago with 75,000 +/- miles.

Also, Power locks/windows are touchy, depends on what day of the week it is, if it was a full moon the night before & if the sky is blue, for them to work..... I think that is an issue with the 99, 00, & 01 XJ's. I can deal with it since my XJ is just a toy & not my DD.

Edit: Rust, My XJ looked really good all around & under, when i took my bumperetts off the rear bumper I had a rust hole the size of your fist in it. Run your hand on the under side of the bumperetts, the salt spray hits that & rots them out there.

Good Luck
Post Pictures
next time, before you turn the light off, have your buddy write the codes down..fix the problem code goes away......
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Build it up? i was thinking of a 3 1/2 lift, nothing extreme. just an everyday driver. abs affects the ??? when lifted? thanks everyone, possible new jeep owner. 11 years with an h1, so im keeping the limits of the vehicle "in check". maybe i should just go with a nissan pathfinder 2000 and above, for my everyday, as i had one and had 0 complaints,wich is unusual for me.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Willys55
next time, before you turn the light off, have your buddy write the codes down..fix the problem code goes away......
Wish it was that easy, He owns his own shop & knows what he's doin, this thing's been a nightmare! Just sayin' if the lights on, there is a reason & just because it was sut off by a mechanic doesn't mean it's been fixed & will stay off....
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Most common rust areas are rockers, floorboards, lower rear quarters, and cargo area. You can't really see much for the floorboards so just look underneath and make sure there are no holes. Rocker panels usually rust because something hit them and was either left like that or it was repaired and not recoated correctly. Can't do much for the cargo area unless you pull the carpet up since the gas tank is right beneath it. Also run your hands along the rocker panels and inspect it closely. They might have rust but was sanded down and painted over in haste. Check underneath the doors as well.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

RUST. #1 enemy of Jeeps. Under the plastic bumper caps it can lurk. More fatal is the floor pans, rockers, and sub-frame. Rockers are a pretty common rust spot. Mine looked fine from the outside, but once I crawled underneath the interior part is rotten away (I think its called the rocket backing panel, it mates to the floor pan). The floor is also gone on the drivers side just pass the frame rail. The PO had put a new outer rocker ON TOP of the old one, which wad continuing to spread its rust disease internally. Floors had some sheet metal attached with self-tapping screws. Lot of work to fix this crap. watch for rust hiding brhind rust underneath - a hole covered up by another piece of metal.

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
Wish it was that easy, He owns his own shop & knows what he's doin, this thing's been a nightmare! Just sayin' if the lights on, there is a reason & just because it was sut off by a mechanic doesn't mean it's been fixed & will stay off....
Uh it is that easy actually. Find problem -> Fix problem -> Problem is fixed. If problem comes back then you aren't fixing it. Sounds like your friend is just clearing the code instead of addressing the cause.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Originally Posted by salad

Uh it is that easy actually. Find problem -> Fix problem -> Problem is fixed. If problem comes back then you aren't fixing it. Sounds like your friend is just clearing the code instead of addressing the cause.

Quick Reply: Used car dealers 'story' on C E L