Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upper radiator hose question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Upper radiator hose question

In checking my upper radiator hose to see if things were working right, How hot should this hose get? The heater core hoses are much hotter than the upper radiator and I can also Pinch it and hold it there with both side of rubber touching. Just installed new thermostat and water pump so checking things out. The engine temp doesn't stay at 210 unless its sitting at a stop light or something, then it drops after driving away.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That ain't right.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
That ain't right.
THanks for the advice. I gotta wonder if I've got too much coolant to water ratio.....That would keep the thermostat from opening right?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did flush of my heater core and I'm sure you know you have to have radiator higher that back half if engine. You probably have air in the system. My 95 xj never goes over 210 and usually stays around 185ish. Was squeezing the upper hose tonight getting air out and it is going to be hot if system is working correctly. Should be to hot to touch.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lsxguy54
Just did flush of my heater core and I'm sure you know you have to have radiator higher that back half if engine. You probably have air in the system. My 95 xj never goes over 210 and usually stays around 185ish. Was squeezing the upper hose tonight getting air out and it is going to be hot if system is working correctly. Should be to hot to touch.
I may be wrong but wouldnt flushing the cooling system(radiator) also flush the heater core? Also, When I fill the fluid back up after changing water pump a few weeks ago, I lifted the front end while hand pulsing the upper radiator hose. Maybe I did something wrong.... I'm new at this.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Unless you either got the prestone flush and did it and rinsed the entire system few time it doesn't get everything out. I used CLR liquid. Disconnected the two hoses for the heater core on fire wall and let it sit in there for about 10 minutes. My heat wasn't the greatest so decided to get the crud out of it. Now it's so hot you can't leave your hand on the vent for more than 5 seconds. I'm going to use my laser temp gauge to see how hot it is tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:25 PM

Did you gave a funnel that stood up 4 or 5 inches off the radiator opening? FI'll funnel up and turn your heat on full blast and then squeeze the upper hose. Once engine get's to operating temp. It will start circulating and if you need to give it a little RPM but keep your eyes on the temp gauge. Also check for any leaks also. My upper hose was collapsed pretty much till I got enough coolant in it and continued to "pump" it. After awhile the bigger bubbles led to little ones. Just takes time is all. Took me about 20 min's to get it so no more bubbles came out.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by freeworld71
THanks for the advice. I gotta wonder if I've got too much coolant to water ratio.....That would keep the thermostat from opening right?

Nope. That's not your problem. It should be 50/50 unless you live in some place like Montana or Alaska. I just buy the pre-mix these days. It's just easier.

But I agree with the above. Air is the most likely cause, and you don't get it all the first time you burp it.