Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

UpCountry Track bar & suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 07:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default UpCountry Track bar & suspension parts

When the weather breaks I plan on installing a factory UpCountry suspension I have acquired. It’s true Mopar UpCountry springs and I’m replacing the entire steering and suspension set up with new as well.
My first concern is will it sit flat/slight rake? I’ve see a lot of posts where after market heavy duty leaves and spring used to duplicate the Upcountry springs required an extra front spring isolator to get a level setup. Will I have this issue with true UpCountry springs?
My second concern is the track bar. Should I get an adjustable one for such a small lift? Factory used the standard track bar but could I achieve better alignment with an adjustable one and which is a good one for near factory height? I’ve only found a few that will go down to +1 1/2” lift and I’m very concerned about it clearing the after market Solid diff cover, I already had to trim it due to contact with the track bar going over speed bumps.
Last, is the a good set of after market upper and lower adjustable control arms that can be set to such a small lift? Only replacing for strength over stock and tweak the adjustments in the front end if I need/want to in the future if I go up to 3”.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Michael
Old 01-04-2022, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 w/ Banks header & K&N intake

The Factory Up-Country package includes a bash-plate set that you'll certainly need with such a small lift'

From the factory they sat fairly level. The 5/8" to 1" lift on the up-country was designed to utilize as many stock parts as possible. After-market lift kits often lift a little higher in back to allow for over-land gear or you can replace the stock spacer/seat with a taller one to make it set level unloaded.

An Adjustable track bars will allow perfect front/rear wheel alignment and they will provide new stouter bushings to replace your old ones, but wait one till you go to a larger lift when you WILL need them

new after-market lower control arms will provide new stouter bushings as well, but are usually sized for a 2" to 3" lift. If your stock arms have good bushings, keep them till you go to a larger lift when you WILL need them
Old 01-04-2022, 09:10 PM

Thanks Red. I have the plates, hook and LSD rear end. Game plan is true UpCountry replica, it’s a clean XJ.

The following users liked this post:
Very Red XJ (01-17-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

WOW Clean is an understatement! Just don't try to tow anything over about 1500# with that 2" receiver and you'll enjoy wheeling this Green Machine
Old 01-04-2022, 10:58 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

My ex USFS XJ was ordered with essentially an Up Country suspension and has a slight lift of approx 1.5 inches. I checked the the front dimensions to see if an adjustable panhard rod (track bar) was needed and it wasn't. Dimensions were the same on left and right sides. I'm thinking the lift would need to be 3 inches plus before any noticeable differences are found. Could be wrong though, maybe I'm just lucky.
MBredestege (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by MBredestege
When the weather breaks I plan on installing a factory UpCountry suspension I have acquired. It’s true Mopar UpCountry springs and I’m replacing the entire steering and suspension set up with new as well.
My first concern is will it sit flat/slight rake? I’ve see a lot of posts where after market heavy duty leaves and spring used to duplicate the Upcountry springs required an extra front spring isolator to get a level setup. Will I have this issue with true UpCountry springs?
My second concern is the track bar. Should I get an adjustable one for such a small lift? Factory used the standard track bar but could I achieve better alignment with an adjustable one and which is a good one for near factory height? I’ve only found a few that will go down to +1 1/2” lift and I’m very concerned about it clearing the after market Solid diff cover, I already had to trim it due to contact with the track bar going over speed bumps.
Last, is the a good set of after market upper and lower adjustable control arms that can be set to such a small lift? Only replacing for strength over stock and tweak the adjustments in the front end if I need/want to in the future if I go up to 3”.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Michael
I am curious to the part numbers for the coils up front and the leaf springs in the back.
Could you post them?
Also a link to the front coils would be nice too. LOL.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:43 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992

That is a real clean XJ. I look forward to your progress. An upcountry setup is on my list as well.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Would you do us a favor? There are so many conflicting statements about the up-country lift and you'll have basically a new one to check once your springs have settled, please use this method to determine the actual lift and let us know:
MBredestege (01-07-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Where did you find all these NOS parts? I have a factory Upcountry Suspension and would love to find some replacement leaf springs that actually provide the proper 1" lift. I've seen a couple of XJ's with the leafs from General Springs that are suppose to be factory specs but they are giving close to 3" of lift.

Also I have looked around for an adjustable track bar for the Upcountry and none seem to adjust to factory length. Need at least 2" of lift.

My XJ with 163K miles measures from the axle tubes to frame, like in the video above, 71/2" in the front and 61/2" in the rear so I do know I'm sagging a bit in the rear and is really noticeable when I have some weight back there.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Superslow
Where did you find all these NOS parts? I have a factory Upcountry Suspension and would love to find some replacement leaf springs that actually provide the proper 1" lift. I've seen a couple of XJ's with the leafs from General Springs that are suppose to be factory specs but they are giving close to 3" of lift.

Also I have looked around for an adjustable track bar for the Upcountry and none seem to adjust to factory length. Need at least 2" of lift.

My XJ with 163K miles measures from the axle tubes to frame, like in the video above, 71/2" in the front and 61/2" in the rear so I do know I'm sagging a bit in the rear and is really noticeable when I have some weight back there.
The following is from an Amazon review.
UPCOUNTRY OPTION
---------
If you would like to duplicate the factory Upcountry option in its more important parts (i.e., the suspension) in your Cherokee XJ 1991-1996 (and probably earlier and later years), you can purchase everything here at Amazon. You will need the following:

Moog CC782 coil springs (sold by the pair) - .
Moog CC782 Variable Rate Coil Spring Moog CC782 Variable Rate Coil Spring
Crown 4886186AA leaf springs (sold each, so order two) - .
Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly; For Use w/LT/ZGW/ZVW; Heavy Duty; 4 Leaf; Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly; For Use w/LT/ZGW/ZVW; Heavy Duty; 4 Leaf;
Zone 2100J 0.75 inch spacers (the Crowns have a little too much lift: these restore the correct front-to-rear ratio) - .
Zone Offroad Coil Spring Spacers 3/4" (pair) Zone Offroad Coil Spring Spacers 3/4" (pair)
Monroe Sensa Trac 37083 front shocks (adequate and a good value, order two) - .
Monroe 37083 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber Monroe 37083 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber
Monroe Sensa Trac 37027 rear shocks (as above, order two) - .
Monroe 37027 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber Monroe 37027 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber
Energy Suspension 22109B rear polyurethane bushings (easier to install, GREASE POLY's THOROUGHLY!!!) - .
Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Set Black 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ # 22109G Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Set Black 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ # 22109G

...and there you have it. YMMV, but on my 1996 Cherokee XJ Sport, the replacement parts above (except shocks: but I would have used those; I just got a great deal on the monotubes) gave me the equivalent of a 1.75 inch lift, and a brand new HD suspension at a bargain price. If you're reasonably handy with tools, you will save a bundle of money, and be inordinately pleased with the final result.

Added note to measuring lift by the axle tubes. Why? If you cut your fenders fine, but save yourself grief and measure from axle cl to fender flare underside. It's close enough and easier, besides the axle tube diameter is different between the Dana 35 and Chrysler 8.25 by .5 inches.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:25 PM

Hey guys.
Sorry for the delay. Been a busy week.

The Mopar part numbers for the true UpCountry springs are as follow:

Front coil- 52088105 This supersedes 52001794 from 2001 which supersedes 52001793 from ‘99. Manufactured by Mopar after 2001 as replacement for the 52001794.

Rear leaf spring- 52002392AB This part number hasn’t changed in some time other than the AA/AB etc. designations.

The Mopar parts for the true UpCountry shocks are as follows:

Front shock- 4897412AD

Rear shock- 04886509AA

The Mopar UpCounty Rear Bump Stops are also 1” longer, fronts are not. They use the same as stock XJ’s.

Front bump stop- 52004295. (Stock on all XJ’s w/wo UpCountry)

Rear bump stop- 52002393 (non UpCountry is 52004297)

I’ve done a bit of research and I’m confident these are accurate per Mopar parts catalogs from 1996-2001.

Someone asked where I got them. Well, it was pure luck. I’ve wanted to do what Winterhawk posted but I’ve never liked the results I’ve seen. They never seem to be “just right” and require spacers to level or they are not happy with the ride and sag quickly, etc. I looked for new, old stock Mopar parts for over 2 years before I found the whole set. Got the fronts on Market place and the rears on eBay from people who had them and never installed. Have the original receipts for them too from 2017 and 2014 from distributors on the west coast.
I flat out got lucky.

I’ll add pics of the springs and part number tags if I can later.

Michael

Last edited by MBredestege; 01-07-2022 at 05:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBredestege:
Anthonyfid (10-30-2023), buckdj@gmail.com (02-24-2022), Superslow (01-08-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Great! I had no idea that Mopar parts were still available - and I'm certain that their better quality then the Chinese knock-offs available from other web-sites
buckdj@gmail.com (02-13-2023)
Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 PM

The coils are discontinued. But if you hunt around, you can find them.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the part numbers. As I said my 96 came with the Upcountry, however the PO replaced them with the "Amazon package" because after 250k everything was worn out. I must say that mine is level and rides fine on pavement, but not so great off road. I'm torn between hunting down the parts or going with OME, which I've had on my 84 CJ7 and Land Rover Discovery. The OME is the best by far for off road, but the Upcountry would be correct per my build sheet. I'm in no hurry so will be looking for the Upcountry parts, but if I don't find them in the next year I'll go OME.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up Australian steel

Originally Posted by Winterhawk
Thanks for all the part numbers. As I said my 96 came with the Upcountry, however the PO replaced them with the "Amazon package" because after 250k everything was worn out. I must say that mine is level and rides fine on pavement, but not so great off road. I'm torn between hunting down the parts or going with OME, which I've had on my 84 CJ7 and Land Rover Discovery. The OME is the best by far for off road, but the Upcountry would be correct per my build sheet. I'm in no hurry so will be looking for the Upcountry parts, but if I don't find them in the next year I'll go OME.
Indeed, Australian steel will serve you well:

All Lift & Tire questions go here!!! - Page 1984 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Quick Reply: UpCountry Track bar & suspension parts