Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Unlock Button Won't Work..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Country
Question Unlock Button Won't Work..

I searched for a solution but so far I don't have any answers.

I took off my door panels to put in speakers in my 96 Country, I have done it before and not run into this problem. I put everything back together and now the unlock/lock button won't work. I push it and nothing happens, I can hear a click under the dash but have no idea what that is. Other posters have said the lock itself moves a little, mine doesn't at all. All the doors don't work by the way.

On a side note-Whenever I make a right hand turn or hit a bump my Low Washer light flashes, does this have anything in correlation to it?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

No to the second question. I have the same issue and I have been told that it is the main switch on the drivers side(the actual thing you press to do the locking and unlocking) that has gone bad. The clicking is the relays behind the pass. side kick panel you can try replacing them but it did nothing for me. I still am not sure on the fix because I had bigger problems and left it to come back to.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: Country
Default Would that make..

the passenger side not work either? The same thing happens on that side as well just the clicking. Could both go bad at the same time? Or does the master switch control both?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I just had the same problem, I installed speakers too. In the process bent the metal rod that controls the lock. The bar was hitting the inside door panel and not able to move. I straightened the rod out and the problem was fixed.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Originally Posted by zayas21
the passenger side not work either? The same thing happens on that side as well just the clicking. Could both go bad at the same time? Or does the master switch control both?
I was told that the driver side was the master and it goes out alot and if it doesn't work than nothing works. I do not really know yet because I have not gone any farther into i yet sorry.

Originally Posted by zayas21
You may want to check that out because when mine went out I had not taken off the door panel at all so you guys have something in common.