Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Unknown noises from front of jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Unknown noises from front of jeep

i own a 91 Laredo. it had a new engine place about 230,000. i just for new tires, oil change, and inspection done this past month.

recently my car has been making a grinding rumble noise when idling and occasionally with i increase speed past 25 mpg. its a sound i have not heard from my car before. its the grinding rumble as my car turns on in the video. i thought based on the noise when driving that a ujoint is lose. however i tested both drive shafts and both at solid.

i also found a new issue at the end of a video is a whole new noise i found while taping, super!!! i need help.

i posted to utube
Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Checked the flexplate bolts?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Default Update

Check out the flexplate all bolts are tight still having issues. Any other suggestion?

Originally Posted by airedale360
i own a 91 Laredo. it had a new engine place about 230,000. i just for new tires, oil change, and inspection done this past month.

recently my car has been making a grinding rumble noise when idling and occasionally with i increase speed past 25 mpg. its a sound i have not heard from my car before. its the grinding rumble as my car turns on in the video. i thought based on the noise when driving that a ujoint is lose. however i tested both drive shafts and both at solid.

i also found a new issue at the end of a video is a whole new noise i found while taping, super!!! i need help.

i posted to utube
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by airedale360
I'm still pondering this but most of the sounds I am hearing in the video seem ok. I'd be way more concerned about those louder noiss that start towards the end of the video. What is that unconnected tube looking thing laying against the coolant reservoir at around the :27-:28 mark? Oh and stop calling your Jeep a car
Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Programbo
I'm still pondering this but most of the sounds I am hearing in the video seem ok. I'd be way more concerned about those louder noiss that start towards the end of the video. What is that unconnected tube looking thing laying against the coolant reservoir at around the :27-:28 mark? Oh and stop calling your Jeep a car
YEAH!, It's a station wagon, get it right!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Sorry my SUV!!

Originally Posted by Programbo
The disconnect hose it actually for my air conditioner. It's not connected been like that for years. So no would on the that hose. Finally that. We decided to leave the inspection plate off to test the bolt. Ran the car it didn't rattle. But as I said this is not a consistant sound. It's that is all t was then it rattles at tight bolts so we are going to super tighten them a see if that was all it was