Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

under hood inspection light

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 / 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L / 2.5L TD
Default under hood inspection light

Tyring to find the switch for the inspection light thats mounted under the hood in my 1998 xj. Not exactly an urgent job, its just annoying me that i cant locate the switch!. Something has to complete a circuit somewhere when the hood gets opened, right??. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I think the light has something in it that simply slides, gravity based, if you take it out and shake it you can hear it rattling around in there.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Evilpopcorn
I think the light has something in it that simply slides, gravity based, if you take it out and shake it you can hear it rattling around in there.
Correct.

It's like a little counter weight that when the hood is raised it slides in to position and completes the circuit to power the light and when you close the hood it leaves the circuit and power is no longer available.

A few weeks ago I discovered that my light wasnt working. So I popped off the clear cover and discovered that the light bulb itself had simply come unhooked from its base. Reattached and POW!! Light was back in.

In the OP case the bulb is probably burned out since he thinks there is an issue with a switch that he cant find lol
Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I actually had a problem with my light under the hood where it would just stay on. I ended up disconnecting it because I never used it. Is that that why you wanted to find the switch OP?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 AM

Mine's not blessed with one, but I had an '85 Bronco that had one of these, and you could pull it out and use it as a drop light. Would reach all the way across and down a good six inches.

Now that I think on it, I'm going to go hit the junkyard and get one of those Ford lights. That thing was handy.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 AM

Here's the one I'm talking about. 18 feet of cord, and it rolls up like a tape measure. If you see one, grab it. They're awesome.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ood-light.html
Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 AM

Year: 99

i have that....just have install it
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Great info. I have this on my 97' XJ. It doesn't have a bulb in it . Maybe it stays on idk. Will look into it . Cheers for that
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

It drove me crazy when I first discovered there was a light there. I kept watching it while I opened/closed the hood - even climbed underneath and looked up to see if it goes out. It's kind-of like that light in my refrigerator - I still haven't figured that one out! Does it really go out when the hood (or door) is closed?

BTW: The tilt switch is in the lamp housing...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 AM

my tilt switch needs a smack to make it work
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

My wifes XJ Pioneer has an OEM retractable light that will reach to the rear tires
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ollylovesjeeps
Great info. I have this on my 97' XJ. It doesn't have a bulb in it . Maybe it stays on idk. Will look into it . Cheers for that
Mine had no bulb as well. I went to the parts store, picked up a bulb and now it works great. I kept looking under the hood to see if it went out and it did. I don't know why the PO took it out,
Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 / 1998
Engine: 4.0L / 2.5L TD

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
Correct.

It's like a little counter weight that when the hood is raised it slides in to position and completes the circuit to power the light and when you close the hood it leaves the circuit and power is no longer available.

A few weeks ago I discovered that my light wasnt working. So I popped off the clear cover and discovered that the light bulb itself had simply come unhooked from its base. Reattached and POW!! Light was back in.

In the OP case the bulb is probably burned out since he thinks there is an issue with a switch that he cant find lol
A gravity operated counter weight switch!! Didnt have a clue - didnt even occur to me.. there I am with my torch hanging upside down over the engine trying to follow wires to a switch that doesnt exist.
My light was working... then it started to flicker. Then some times it worked, others times it stayed dark. Then it just stayed permanently dark. I checked the Bulb, replaced it, checked the connections in the light, and the wires that I could see.. all ok. So I figured it was probably a switch issue. Now that I know where it is, I'll have a look at it later.. might even just need a little wd40.
Nomeaculpa - that retractable light looks great.. mabye I'll go the whole hog and do a complete replacement??..
Once again - thanks for good info guys.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Boy, I can't find one of those lights for the life of me. Apparently they had a mercury tilt switch, and were replaced with a mechanical switch, but I can't find one.

Part number for the replacement is 1U5Z-15702-AA.

I did find this GM one, though. It's not retractable, but instead has a hand crank to reel the cord back up. Guess I'll fall back to this one if I can't find the retractable one at a JY somewhere.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN3007//Under....html#moreinfo
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeep93

A gravity operated counter weight switch!! Didnt have a clue - didnt even occur to me.. there I am with my torch hanging upside down over the engine trying to follow wires to a switch that doesnt exist.
My light was working... then it started to flicker. Then some times it worked, others times it stayed dark. Then it just stayed permanently dark. I checked the Bulb, replaced it, checked the connections in the light, and the wires that I could see.. all ok. So I figured it was probably a switch issue. Now that I know where it is, I'll have a look at it later.. might even just need a little wd40.
Nomeaculpa - that retractable light looks great.. mabye I'll go the whole hog and do a complete replacement??..
Once again - thanks for good info guys.
I wouldn't use wd40 on electrical connections as that stuff is highly flammable and could start a fire under your hood. Use "contact cleaner" to spray on the tilt switch to clean away any corrosion.

Quick Reply: under hood inspection light