Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

U joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question U joint

Does anyone know the size of the u joint is that goes in the axle shaft behind the hub?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

Never did ask the size when I ordered mine from CTR, here in Winnipeg. they asked year/make/model and engine/trans...that's it

They were the correct ones....
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 PM

all the U-joints are the same all the way around...from the rear drive shaft to the front axle shafts. like stumper said, just tell them year, make, model, engine, and trans, and they will know what one to get
Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 PM

Engine: 4.0

I did at oreilys and i got three to fix my vibs from the front but the one that goes in the axle shaft it deffiently bigger than the other ones.Im going to go tomorrow and take back two of them and probably take the shaft and get them to size it and everything.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Murphys law always comes into play when replacing parts. I had the axle u-joint replaced on my 96 XJ at the shop I work part time in. We called over to the parts store where we get parts not stocked and they had 2 different part numbers for the u-joint. The parts employee looked at them both and could not see any difference and sent over part #1. After mounting the joint into the shart we found the u-joint was about 1/8 inch too long and could not push down the bearing cap far enough into the axle to make room for the locking ring. (C-clip) We ordered the other part number and everything fit together perfect. Seems Jeep, Chrysler have a tendency to change the parts in mid year building to place different sized parts just to make it more likely you will take it to the dealer to fix it. another example is I replaced the thermosat temp sensor and the parts store showed only 1 part number, but I compaired it to the one mounted in my XJ and the connector did not match. We finally found after checking against different years, makes and models we finally found I have a sensor from a Wrangler in my stock XJ. Go figure.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Axle shaft ujoints are different then the ones that go in the DS. If you have ABS or axle shafts from a newer 96+ XJ you use the 297/760 style -ujoints, otherwise you will need the smaller ones which I think are the 260 series..Your Driveshafts use the 1310 style u-joints.

As for u-joints it's a matter of what Dana/Spicer used not Chrysler. In 96 the axle shafts switched to a bigger u-joint and in models prior to 96 only the ABS exquiped XJ's used the larger u-joints. Bottom line you need to look up u-joints based on the model of axle you have and whether or not you have ABS. Also if it was me I would order Spicer joints. They cost more but will last way longer then parts house throw a ways.

Last edited by okcjeeper; 01-30-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

make sure you get greasable U-joints. my local parts store has "rock buster" u joints so I had to see them, no grease fittings, right back on the shelf they went
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Default spicer correct?

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Axle shaft ujoints are different then the ones that go in the DS. If you have ABS or axle shafts from a newer 96+ XJ you use the 297/760 style -ujoints, otherwise you will need the smaller ones which I think are the 260 series..Your Driveshafts use the 1310 style u-joints.

As for u-joints it's a matter of what Dana/Spicer used not Chrysler. In 96 the axle shafts switched to a bigger u-joint and in models prior to 96 only the ABS exquiped XJ's used the larger u-joints. Bottom line you need to look up u-joints based on the model of axle you have and whether or not you have ABS. Also if it was me I would order Spicer joints. They cost more but will last way longer then parts house throw a ways.
can you confirm these u joints for a 97 cherokee.. not sure any othr info.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...=0&partID=4802
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper

so for the drveshaft im looking at these 1310 style but there seems to be a bunch of choices..

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

any imput greatly appreciated.. 97 cherokee looking for front and rear driveshaft u joints all spicer brand