Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Two Radiators in my '98 XJ?

Old 11-18-2017, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Default Two Radiators in my '98 XJ?

Hey, All! I'm a relative newbie here but would appreciate a bit of help. For some time now, I've noticed coolant leaking out of my front end and recently, it's gotten a lot worse. At the moment, I'm having to replace two of my transmission cooler lines as well (leaking), so I figured this is a good time to take care of the radiator, too.

When ordering, none of the schematics I'd seen showed another (thinner) radiator attached to the front of the main radiator, so I didn't order it. It wasn't until I took out my old one that I even discovered the one in front. Anyway, I've been looking online but can't find a schematic of it anywhere, so I don't even know what to call it! Anyone here know or have any guesses? I'm thinking maybe I should replace that, too, since it's most likely the one to start leaking (taking a rock through the grill, for instance).

Thanks a million!
Old 11-18-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Hi from Germany,
the "thinner radiator attached to the front of the main radiator" is the A/C condenser:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/spectra-pre...1163y1999g34j4

The transmission cooler is attached to the main radiator on the left side. If the A/C condenser leaks, you won't see any fluid because this is A/C gas!
Cheers
Michael
Old 11-18-2017, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by michaelo
The transmission cooler is attached to the main radiator on the left side. If the A/C condenser leaks, you won't see any fluid because this is A/C gas!
Cheers
Michael
Just wanted to share that this is not entirely accurate Michael. Along with the refrigerant gas in an A/C system there is also a lubricating oil. This oil can indeed leak out when you have a leak in the A/C system. But he doesn't want to play with the A/C system unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 6 cyl

THANK YOU, michaelo (how's everything in Germany?) and Bugout4x4! Thanks a million. Yes, the condenser is exactly the part I am talking about...and it's extremely helpful to know that if there IS a leak in the condenser, it would NOT be antifreeze (if I'm understanding you correctly). If that's correct, I can go ahead and install my radiator as planned.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a fellow Cherokee-er!
Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rtisan
THANK YOU, michaelo (how's everything in Germany?) and Bugout4x4! Thanks a million. Yes, the condenser is exactly the part I am talking about...and it's extremely helpful to know that if there IS a leak in the condenser, it would NOT be antifreeze (if I'm understanding you correctly). If that's correct, I can go ahead and install my radiator as planned.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a fellow Cherokee-er!
Good luck!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:58 AM

Yeah, Bugout4X4 of course is right, the condenser can leak A/C oil! But when the condenser leaks, the A/C won't work any more. The radiator change is one of the easier things to do on the XJ. Change the upper and lower hoses too when you do the job and check the transmission oil at least after you've connected the transmission lines to the radiator. Unsually you won't loose much transmission oil when you disconnect the lines, you can close them with some kitchen paper or whatever.

We're waiting for the first snow now here in South Germany, the XJ is ready to do his job ...
Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, Bugout4X4 of course is right, the condenser can leak A/C oil! But when the condenser leaks, the A/C won't work any more. The radiator change is one of the easier things to do on the XJ. Change the upper and lower hoses too when you do the job and check the transmission oil at least after you've connected the transmission lines to the radiator. Unsually you won't loose much transmission oil when you disconnect the lines, you can close them with some kitchen paper or whatever.

We're waiting for the first snow now here in South Germany, the XJ is ready to do his job ...
Do you ever have to cover and block part of the radiator when it's real cold? Just curious if it gets that cold there. lol
Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Do you ever have to cover and block part of the radiator when it's real cold? Just curious if it gets that cold there. lol
So far I didn't have to block part of the radiator, because last winters temperature didn't fall so low, especially since global warming keeps temperatures higher than before
But I'm now running the 4th thermostat within 2 years to make the engine warm up, but now it works fine
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM
CF Veteran

So far I didn't have to block part of the radiator, because last winters temperature didn't fall so low, especially since global warming keeps temperatures higher than before
But I'm now running the 4th thermostat within 2 years to make the engine warm up, but now it works fine
Thank you I was curious because sometimes in our northern most states it gets so cold that the thermostat slams shut just as soon as it opens and sets up a cycle to this effect. Blocking part of the radiator and reducing fin area kind of stabilizes it from doing this open/closed cycle.