Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tv cable manual 5 spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 01:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5L
Question tv cable manual 5 spd

2.5L 1991 have not yet identified the tranny but I'm leaning towards an A5 I guess...
so I was reading the thread about shift points in the 87 and that seems to be what I'm missing
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/opi...7/#post3697077

so questions.. should I have one? everyone talking about it seems to have an automatic tranny...
if it seized would that be why 4th was stupid and accelerating was horrible in all gears the day the distributor went wacky? now I'm thinking it was seized and when it broke it broke the dizzy.. it goes right over it..
it was definitely better yesterday when I drove it around town without it... I mean I didn't get frustrated at all because she wouldn't go, nor the night before, but I don't hot rod it anyway.
and finally.. is this part of it? I followed it down and it certainly goes in that direction.
don't answer yet.. I am going to go drive it and see .. I can get to 4th on my street, but I have a better street to check acceleration. I will eta under the pic after I get back. I just don't want to lose this text
thanks!!!

eta: yeah they all seem to shift and accel at about the same rate, going by sound and speed.. I don't have a tach... it is definitely better in 4th than it used to be..

Last edited by onestrongwriter; 05-13-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 414 Likes on 336 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

No TV cable on a manual.

Is that a hose on the end? What did it come off of? It looks like a vacuum check valve. See the similar shaped object just above it in your pic. Those 2 lines are for your HVAC. The grey one goes to the heater valve. The Black one connects to your vacuum system to run the heater vent doors and cruise control (if you have it).
Old 05-13-2023, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Saudade
No TV cable on a manual.

Is that a hose on the end? What did it come off of? It looks like a vacuum check valve. See the similar shaped object just above it in your pic. Those 2 lines are for your HVAC. The grey one goes to the heater valve. The Black one connects to your vacuum system to run the heater vent doors and cruise control (if you have it).
i have no idea what it came off of..

no cruise control. there is evidence there may have been a/c that was removed, however, I did see somewhere or other that there have been times stuff would be in place in case someone wanted to add it later. she is a 4x4 so not quite the cheapest jeep ever made. I did run out there and checked my heater blower.. new blower motor on it we replaced when I was going to start driving it. I have all blower speeds and heat.

it is not hollow in the middle, it is in the harness that goes towards the back of the engine down the hole under the body towards the transmission but I have not followed it farther than that.
I took a couple more pics. the second pic is in its natural position.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

By heater vent doors Saudade is referring for the ability to redirect air flow from foot level, vent level, and defrost level. That is all done by using engine vacuum. Are you able to redirect the air flow in your XJ? And the next question will be, with the engine running is that "thing" sucking air?

Last edited by dmoe69; 05-13-2023 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
onestrongwriter (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 06:45 PM

Talking more work lol

Originally Posted by dmoe69
By heater vent doors Saudade is referring for the ability to redirect air flow from foot level, vent level, and defrost level. That is all done by using engine vacuum. Are you able to redirect the air flow in your XJ? And the next question will be, with the engine running is that "thing" sucking air?
engine running
the thing does not change, no blowing, no sucking, even running it through its paces..
but thanks... because it just got weirder..
it goes through all levels.. a little iffy on vent but it always has been
if the temp is on warm
if I move the temp lever to cold, it blows a lot just on defrost

maybe I should put the new fuel pressure regulator there lol just kidding.. these 2 parts are the only things coming out of the firewall... in that spot next to the blower motor

also... I'm not the one that morphed it into an hvac post when I was asking transmission related question lol and yet..here we are.. with another wrong title.. i have been for some time now trying to figure out if I should have anything where the red line goes... I see pics of jeeps with the blue line.. plus one or two more.. I even think that mj that helped us figure out I have the wrong pressure steering hose has 2 things there...
at this point is it safe to say I only have the accel cable, since I have a manual transmission and no cruise control?

Old 05-14-2023, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If you can redirect airflow, and you have hot air when you want it, I wouldn't put much more energy into the black thing. The only other thing you could verify is that under acceleration does the air flow move from vent to defrost. If so, that would be an indication that something is not connected correctly to the vacuum reservoir, which is inside the right side of the front bumper.
In regard to your one and only cable linkage to the throttle body. You are correct, you only need the one, because you don't have cruise control or an automatic transmission.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:57 PM

In regard to your one and only cable linkage to the throttle body. You are correct, you only need the one, because you don't have cruise control or an automatic transmission.
thank you

If you can redirect airflow, and you have hot air when you want it, I wouldn't put much more energy into the black thing. The only other thing you could verify is that under acceleration does the air flow move from vent to defrost. If so, that would be an indication that something is not connected correctly to the vacuum reservoir, which is inside the right side of the front bumper..
I was considering looking at that.. I do know that the vac line from the heater stuff does go around my passenger fender to it, and it would take a yank to disconnect it from the reservoir. doesn't mean it attached well. I am almost done making my smoke tester jar thing, just need to get some mineral or baby oil.. and there seems to be a test port on that line....
Old 05-14-2023, 05:04 PM

also, I just noticed... post 5 pic 2.. the gray line.. does that thing it attaches to have a hole in the bottom? and if so, is it supposed to have a weep hole?
Old 05-15-2023, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 414 Likes on 336 Posts

That's the heater valve and Yes. The heater valve has a diaphragm that moves the arm to open/close the valve (actually more like pass/bypass). So that's a vent hole to allow the diaphragm move based only on vacuum supply from the other side (grey line). The grey line attaches to the heater control in the dash. When you request HEAT, the valve directs coolant to the core. If not on heat, the valve redirects coolant to bypass the core.

The temperature slider moves the blend door inside the heater box to allow or restrict air flow through the core. It's cable operated. Normally the temp control is independent of the vent control. So Vent should be the dash vents, Bi-Level is both floor and dash vents. Heat is floor vents. Defrost is self explanatory. The vent control directs engine vacuum to the proper servos to open/close the air outlets. Low or no vacuum causes the vents to default to defrost. It's possible the vacuum harness on back of the heater control is cracked/loose and looses vacuum with the slider is toward cold.

Here's the rear view of the heater control with wires and vac lines still attached. The arm where the temp control is just visible with the oblong slot.

A clearer pic without the cables and lines.

As far as mixing topics, that's up to you. If you prefer to separate unrelated issues, no problem. My apologies for forking the thread off in a different direction.
The following users liked this post:
dmoe69 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 07:39 PM

it's fine. I don't mind being informed.. corrected.. whatever. I'm new at all this, I come from a long line of car GUYS so... if I title it wrong because I am mistaken its fine.

.. summer is coming so I wouldn't mind cold air coming through some vents. or even the floor.. but I do not have a7c ..
i'm trying to remember what I drove last summer. I think it was the mercury and used the jeep occasionally, and my f250 superduty for emergencies on the gotta get to work and nothin is left.
I think I started driving it regularly in October after I wasn't working anymore, so not that often.
I'm still a little worried about driving it at decent speeds.. a lot of 55 in my rural area and I haven't gotten her up to that speed yet since the dizzy replacement.. I have only gone a few minutes at a time.
I have to go about 40 miles at 55 tomorrow.. I was regularly driving her 60 before that issue, but the cause is still unknown

{quote}engine running
the thing does not change, no blowing, no sucking, even running it through its paces..

it goes through all levels.. a little iffy on vent but it always has been
if the temp is on warm
if I move the temp lever to cold, it blows a lot just on defrost{/quote}
Old 05-15-2023, 09:31 PM

you know what else? I was looking at the ground on the firewall and discovered that the accelerator cable on the firewall seems a bit wiggly.. I haven't noticed a difference in driving it but it seems like it should be flush and we.. not so wiggly