Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tune up done on 01 sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tune up done on 01 sport

Well I decided to do a little tune up on the 01 sport today. Removed the throttle body and cleaned it out. Decided not to go the easy way and just spray cleaner on it. Removed it, took it apart and cleaned it with a towel and throttle body cleaner. There was quite a bit of carbon build up on it. Then I changed all the plugs and used chepo Champion coppers... heard nothing but good things on here about them. Poured about a half a bottle of Seafoam into the gas tank to try and clean out the injectors. Jumped in and it fired up strong. I still have some piston slap but I did not change the oil becuase I did that 2 weeks ago. Plan on my next oil change to change out the rear main seal. What I did notice in all of this was it looks as if I have some carbon build up in my manifold, I still have some piston slap and it seem to idle a little louder even though it still idles at around 500rpms. Any other suggestions? The engine has around 142k on it and seems to run pretty well but I believe I have a vacuum leak somewhere that is causing my engine light to stay on. Also after doing all of this I noticed that my coolant reservoir filled up just past the the full line and it had be just below that for several weeks. Sorry to be so long winded... The only thing I still have not done is run seafoam through the break booster, but I hate to that alone and in my neighborhood.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

sounds good! great job on the tune up, i have the rear piston slap as well, doesnt effect performance. But when i replaced my valve cover gasket i noticed my engine was really clean, i tried the sea-foam anyways and after about 20 miles of running it it now idles a little smoother. I had hardly any white smoke come out as well. I would try it since you still have half a bottle left. just dont use that entire half of the bottle.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
sounds good! great job on the tune up, i have the rear piston slap as well, doesnt effect performance. But when i replaced my valve cover gasket i noticed my engine was really clean, i tried the sea-foam anyways and after about 20 miles of running it it now idles a little smoother. I had hardly any white smoke come out as well. I would try it since you still have half a bottle left. just dont use that entire half of the bottle.
Did you pour it in and leave it or did you change the oil later on?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Honorary Moderator

thru the brake booster you do not need to change your oil. it goes thru your combustion chamber, not your crank case.and pour it till you poured your amount in there then turn it off, leave it for about seven minutes, fire it back up, let it idle a minute or two then take it for a spin
Old 04-04-2010, 04:32 PM

thru the brake booster you do not need to change your oil. it goes thru your combustion chamber, not your crank case.and pour it till you poured your amount in there then turn it off, leave it for about seven minutes, fire it back up, let it idle a minute or two then take it for a spin
I may give this a shot tonight once it gets a little dark. I dont think the people around me would like the smoke, and I have a feeling mine is going to smoke like a forest fire. I still have a little rough idle that I was hoping cleaning the throttle body and new plugs would help. I know it wont run like new, but it feels like it idles up and down a little. It stays in the 500rpm range but still feels like it idles up and down. I think getting my cooling system under control will help also. I need to purge it and I really want to replace the radiator, waterpump, and t-stat soon. I just dont have the time or the skills to do that kind of work. Right now it cools fine at highway speeds but keeps running above 210 and the fan has to kick on to cool it off in stop and go traffic. It drives me nuts... I have been told the system is working and doing what it is supposed to but I just can see it running hot then having to be cooled off by the fan constantly as being a good thing.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Honorary Moderator

what is your ambient tempurate out side? and replacing the pump, tstat, and radiator are an afternoons worth of work. not to hard to do actually. just basic tools. and it sounds like it is working normally... seafoam it and get back to me. If you dont think your neighbors will like the smoke go down to your local empty parking lot and do it =]
Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 PM

what is your ambient tempurate out side? and replacing the pump, tstat, and radiator are an afternoons worth of work. not to hard to do actually. just basic tools. and it sounds like it is working normally... seafoam it and get back to me. If you dont think your neighbors will like the smoke go down to your local empty parking lot and do it =]
Right now its around 80 degrees. So not too hot. Will the brake booster suck the seafoam right out or should I just pour it down the tube?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Honorary Moderator

tilt it enough to where it sucks it out of the bottle on its own power. and you will here it really bog down if it starts getting to much. the minute you unplug the vacuum hose off of the brake booster too it will idle really high