Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

troubleshooting RKE 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default troubleshooting RKE 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Noticed my keyless remote stopped working neither FOBs work plus hitting the door lock switches on door does nothing although I thought I can hear a relay click on passenger side somewhere. I unplugged the RKE board overhead and all the door locks now work with the door lock switches. Checking connector that plugs into the board all grounds checks good,wire 1- courtesy light -has power, wire 2-fused B has power,if I jump out the wire 5-unlock door relay- to ground all doors unlock, the wires 6 and 12-CCD Bus +/- shows no power (should they I have no warning lights on dash) wire 10- horn relay- has power, wire 11- door lock control cannot jump out to ground to get it to work like I can with the door unlock circuit shows no power.

I also noticed if I unplug the RKE board and plug it back in it will cycle the door unlock circuit one time maybe twice then no more. Seems to me the board is bad anyone know if the above findings makes it seems like bad board? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The CCD Bus connects to the Body Control Module and the PCM so the engine won't start if the alarm is set. It may be the receiver for the fob signal is malfunctioning. Does it cycle from the driver's door switch?

Last edited by dave1123; 09-07-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Good luck fixing it , I had to replace mine . I guy on ebay sells used RKE board with remotes . the problem mine had is that I could not program new remote to it and I was using the OE scan tool .
Old 09-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Good luck fixing it , I had to replace mine . I guy on ebay sells used RKE board with remotes . the problem mine had is that I could not program new remote to it and I was using the OE scan tool .
This one was bought from guy on eBay a few months back with 2 remotes programmed for it and was working great till yesterday. I contacted the guy he said he could test it for 5 dollars. Figure if it is bad may go with the aftermarket Omega Proline REC-43T+ as its $30 on Amazon
Old 09-07-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
The CCD Bus connects to the Body Control Module and the PCM so the engine won't start if the alarm is set. It may be the receiver for the fob signal is malfunctioning. Does it cycle from the driver's door switch?
When its plugged in (the reciever board) no without it everything as far as door switches are fine.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Well found the issue looks like wire #11 (light blue/red) broke somewhere and its not in the door or door opening. Going to try and fish another wire overhead and splice it in.Anyone knows how the wire is ran thru vehicle?I'm guessing guess up along passenger side piller on side of windshield and shoots over to middle to the dome light.

Last edited by country2; 09-08-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by country2
Well found the issue looks like wire #11 (light blue/red) broke somewhere and its not in the door or door opening. Going to try and fish another wire overhead and splice it in.Anyone knows how the wire is ran thru vehicle?I'm guessing guess up along passenger side piller on side of windshield and shoots over to middle to the dome light.
The harness for the dome light does not go to the door. It goes to a couple plugs in the footwell area on the passenger. But yes down the middle, across the top of the windshield, down the passenger pillar, and into the footwell area. You will need to remove this plastic piece to see the 2 plugs. I am pretty sure this is a picture of each plug but it could be the same one twice. These are from my overhead console install but everything is essential the same.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
The harness for the dome light does not go to the door. It goes to a couple plugs in the footwell area on the passenger. But yes down the middle, across the top of the windshield, down the passenger pillar, and into the footwell area. You will need to remove this plastic piece to see the 2 plugs. I am pretty sure this is a picture of each plug but it could be the same one twice. These are from my overhead console install but everything is essential the same.

mine is just the domelights with the RKE board.The wire from the RKE board to the door lock switch in passenger door lock switch had a bad spot in it from a screw hitting it. I found the bad spot cut it out and soldered back. Everything work again!

Last edited by country2; 09-08-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Wow , Thank you for posting the fix .
Old 09-10-2018, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

mine is just the domelights with the RKE board.The wire from the RKE board to the door lock switch in passenger door lock switch had a bad spot in it from a screw hitting it. I found the bad spot cut it out and soldered back. Everything work again!
I am confused. Maybe I am not understanding what you are calling the RKE. One of these:

https://www.ebay.com/p/97-01-1997-20...otes/567198362

In my '00 for both the dome light and the overhead console there is not a wire directly to the door lock switch. What am I missing here?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM

I am confused. Maybe I am not understanding what you are calling the RKE. One of these:

https://www.ebay.com/p/97-01-1997-20...otes/567198362

In my '00 for both the dome light and the overhead console there is not a wire directly to the door lock switch. What am I missing here?
yes thats it
Old 09-10-2018, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Yes that's it , it mounts in the over head dome light or the over head console .
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

This is the dome light harness out of my '00. The 2 connectors on the left are for the lighted visors. The 2 in middle go into the dome light. Bigger one is to the board. Smaller one is to the light itself. The 2 connectors on the right go into the footwell area. None of these connect directly to the door. So I am still confused.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM

This is the dome light harness out of my '00. The 2 connectors on the left are for the lighted visors. The 2 in middle go into the dome light. Bigger one is to the board. Smaller one is to the light itself. The 2 connectors on the right go into the footwell area. None of these connect directly to the door. So I am still confused.
it was the lt blue wire with red strip.It looked like someone had did prior work it it in the past so guess it could of been changed but looking at the wiring diagram (thats what got me looking at that wire) per wiring diagram looked like it goes thru think it was 3 connectors. Also there was another connector not being used that that wire along with another that was mounted almost middle way of the door about 3 inches from the window. Never saw that connector on print and have no idea what it may of went to. The wire itself after it comes thru the body at the fuse box and went up inside the piller on right and went across top of windshield then center to the dome lights. Goes thru connectors c301 and c300 from door switch to the overhead per wiring diagram.

Last edited by country2; 09-10-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

it was the lt blue wire with red strip.It looked like someone had did prior work it it in the past so guess it could of been changed but looking at the wiring diagram (thats what got me looking at that wire) per wiring diagram looked like it goes thru think it was 3 connectors. Also there was another connector not being used that that wire along with anotherthat was mounted almost middle way of the door about 3 inches from the window. Never saw that connector on print and have no idea what it may of went to. The wire itself after it comes thru the body at the fuse box and went up inside the piller on right and went across top of windshield then center to the dome lights.
I am thinking somebody hacked your wiring. But I am having a tough time picturing what you are talking about. The 2 white connectors on the right run down the passenger side pillar to the footwell. I always assumed they connected to something that is connected to the passenger side door harness or directly to it. But with the exception of those 2 white connectors there is no other wiring running down the passenger side pillar in the 2 '00's or the 3 '99's that I have taken that part out of. The 2 '00's being dome light ones and the '99 being overhead console ones. But the wiring is the same set up between the 2 just overhead wiring has more wires.

Quick Reply: troubleshooting RKE 2000 Jeep Cherokee