Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

trouble with transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default trouble with transfer case

alright so ive got a 99 cherokee sport. it has a 231j t-case. well it had one. it blew up. literally. i was on the highway and it sucked. i ordered a new one and i can not figure out how to get it off. ive looked all over this site and jeepforum.com and cant find the info im looking for i even bought a damn chilton manual and it says nothing about how to remove it other than unbolt t-case from tranny. no pics. plus i see no bolts i see nuts but no bolts. im also trying to remove the oil pump and stuff from the back but it wont come off the the back half of the t-case for some reason. sorry i dont have pics yet hopefully ill be able to put some up tomorrow. but until then if anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated. i tinkered with the thing for acouple hours today and it is turning out to be a major pita. it looked simple from all of the studying ive been doin about it but good lord its not lookin as simple as i thought at all.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Disconnect the electrical lead, breather tube, linkage and undo the 6 nuts you see closest to the transmission. That should be it.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by iduno_justxploded
alright so ive got a 99 cherokee sport. it has a 231j t-case. well it had one. it blew up. literally. i was on the highway and it sucked. i ordered a new one and i can not figure out how to get it off. ive looked all over this site and jeepforum.com and cant find the info im looking for i even bought a damn chilton manual and it says nothing about how to remove it other than unbolt t-case from tranny. no pics. plus i see no bolts i see nuts but no bolts. im also trying to remove the oil pump and stuff from the back but it wont come off the the back half of the t-case for some reason. sorry i dont have pics yet hopefully ill be able to put some up tomorrow. but until then if anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated. i tinkered with the thing for acouple hours today and it is turning out to be a major pita. it looked simple from all of the studying ive been doin about it but good lord its not lookin as simple as i thought at all.
this is exactly what happend to me 2 days ago,ill be installing one in a week or 2
Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Disconnect the electrical lead, breather tube, linkage and undo the 6 nuts you see closest to the transmission. That should be it.
well yeah i know all of that but its also a problem with getting at the nuts im not really sure how the hell to get at them especially the ones on the driver side that are in those lil holes. plus why cant i take the oil pump thing off the back half of the t-case? it just wont freakin come off!!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 PM

you too! lol i guess maybe its just a jeep thing haha. yeah ill be gettin mine in like a week or so. its on its way from NY and im in TX. but i got it for 50 bucks on ebay and after shipping it was only about 130. i think i good a pretty good deal. do you know why yours did that?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

There are a couple of tricks you may want to do here. First, drain the oil out. If you don't, I guarantee you will get a bath out the tail shaft. Then disconnect both drivelines. Remove the rear completely, the front can stay hooked up to the front diff. Next, disconnect the linkage by prying it out of the rubber bushing on the shift arm of the tcase. Next, let it down a little. That will make it much easier to locate and remove the six nuts on the tcase studs. You will see them on the transmission side of the rear adapter. Give it a wiggle and it will fall in your lap. Weighs about 65#
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

you too! lol i guess maybe its just a jeep thing haha. yeah ill be gettin mine in like a week or so. its on its way from NY and im in TX. but i got it for 50 bucks on ebay and after shipping it was only about 130. i think i good a pretty good deal. do you know why yours did that?

yep mine too, idk why it did it it just did, im takin the front d-shaft out tomorrow cause its got alot of play in it...im in alabama and gettin mine from Cali
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
There are a couple of tricks you may want to do here. First, drain the oil out. If you don't, I guarantee you will get a bath out the tail shaft. Then disconnect both drivelines. Remove the rear completely, the front can stay hooked up to the front diff. Next, disconnect the linkage by prying it out of the rubber bushing on the shift arm of the tcase. Next, let it down a little. That will make it much easier to locate and remove the six nuts on the tcase studs. You will see them on the transmission side of the rear adapter. Give it a wiggle and it will fall in your lap. Weighs about 65#
lol well i dont need to worry bout the oil cuz it exploded so now it has a huge hole it in haha. now my problem is how do i take that lil dome piece oil pump thing off of the tail shaft?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mobilecherokee4
yep mine too, idk why it did it it just did, im takin the front d-shaft out tomorrow cause its got alot of play in it...im in alabama and gettin mine from Cali
ive been readin a lot about it and that play might have sumthin to do with it. do you have a lift on yours? cuz that could also be a cause. thats what happened to mine ive got a lift and it makes the angle of the slipyoke to rear drive shaft to extreme and screws the whole thing up. so to cure that im gonna fab some spacers until i can afford the SYE
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

ive been readin a lot about it and that play might have sumthin to do with it. do you have a lift on yours? cuz that could also be a cause. thats what happened to mine ive got a lift and it makes the angle of the slipyoke to rear drive shaft to extreme and screws the whole thing up. so to cure that im gonna fab some spacers until i can afford the SYE
yeah ive got a 4.5 with 33's and ive got a t-case drop on mine
Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM

yeah ive got a 4.5 with 33's and ive got a t-case drop on mine
4.5!! no fair i only have a 4.0 :P. im runnin 33's also and a lil bit of a lift. its got a t-case drop already but im gonna make another that will drop it a bit more so the line is more straight.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

4.5!! no fair i only have a 4.0 :P. im runnin 33's also and a lil bit of a lift. its got a t-case drop already but im gonna make another that will drop it a bit more so the line is more straight.

ha yeah i want to get an sye soo bad, just cant afford it right now.....im in college haha
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 PM

ha yeah i want to get an sye soo bad, just cant afford it right now.....im in college haha
haha yeah i get that but they arent that bad i suppose. around 250 or so. i just got me a new oil pan today too. the guy i bought my XJ from put a hole it in then did a crap-tastic job patching it plus the drain plug leaks real bad and no matter what i do it wont stop so i said screw it i just bout a whole oil pan from a junk yard for 50 bucks and it looks newer than mine haha. im thinkin about putin a exo-skel on mine ive seen acouple that look really damn good. i might even chop it but im not sure. im kinda thinkin if i want a choped XJ its just for the looks so i might as well get a k-5 blazer. which i want anyway so it works out
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

yah good point, hey go to youtube.com and look up chop top cherokee and tell me what you think! its the 1st vid, its pretty awesome, i want mine to look like that eventually
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM

yah good point, hey go to youtube.com and look up chop top cherokee and tell me what you think! its the 1st vid, its pretty awesome, i want mine to look like that eventually
that is a pretty bad *** chop top i must say. and hey he has the same tires as me lol. he did a real good job on it too. there is also a couple pics on a thread on here somewhere with a chop top that has an exo skel. roll cage and it looks freakin sweet. i think the roll cage with a good chop job like that one would be sweet

Quick Reply: trouble with transfer case