Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trouble puttin trans back in

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994(mostly)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Trouble puttin trans back in

Ive been trying to put this S.O.B back in for 3 days ive had all my ASE friends come over, none of us can get this. the the two bolts on the side that hold the trans to the motor will not go in, i can get one side in but not the other, ice tried to do it with both sides, but i just cant seem to get the trans in far enough to get both sides, and im pretty much sure the torque converter is in, ive tried to get it in about 15 times now evert time checking the torque converter, its sooooooooo close to going back in but everytime i only can get one side. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I pushed my converter in and spun it clock wise till it clicked in all the way it took a couple of turns to get it all the way in.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

im like 99.999% it all the way in every time
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

STOP!!!!!!!
I've been down this road and it cost me a tranny...I broke the pump.

DO NOT try to install the tranny with te torque converter installed on the flexplate. Remove the TC from the motor and slip it onto the tranny. Use some Scotch-Brite or Emery cloth to clean up the TC and the hole in the back of the crankshaft.

Now add some Anti-Sieze to the TC.

As you are positioning the tranny/TC try to keep the TC mounting holes lined up the the holes in the flex plate.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by FrankZ
STOP!!!!!!!
I've been down this road and it cost me a tranny...I broke the pump.

DO NOT try to install the tranny with te torque converter installed on the flexplate. Remove the TC from the motor and slip it onto the tranny. Use some Scotch-Brite or Emery cloth to clean up the TC and the hole in the back of the crankshaft.

Now add some Anti-Sieze to the TC.

As you are positioning the tranny/TC try to keep the TC mounting holes lined up the the holes in the flex plate.
jw did you know you broke the pump after it was all installed or how could you tell
Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

just so you know the TC has been in the trans the whole time, i guess i didnt make that clear ,
Old 10-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

somebody has to have an idea
Old 10-16-2010, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coyote1
jw did you know you broke the pump after it was all installed or how could you tell
Started the rig, put it in gear, rig didn't move. Confirmed by pulling a tranny line with the engine on and only got a dribble of ATF. Zero pressure.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

I did this too, put the tranny back in with the TC not all the way in and ruined the pump. Luckily a guy on the forum sold me a pump. I will think about what it could be.. so you can get all but one bolt in? Sorry I guess I can't quite picture it.. ?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

When you have the tranny in as far as you can get it is the TC tight against the flex plate? If it is its not all the way into the tranny. When the transmission is all the way bolted up the TC should have about a 3/8" between it and the flex plate..
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

i'll maybe get a few pics of it , but pretty much i get the one bolt in on either side and the other side i can get sooooooooooo damn close, but not close enough to get it to catch
Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Are you using a transmission or floor jack? If everything lines up correctly you should be able to hang the trans on the motor with only a very narrow gap. If your depending on bringing the trans up to the motor using bolts something is mis-aligned.

What I used to do when I did a lot of trans installs I had bolts that were simply long studs, I cut the heads off & cut a slot for a screwdriver. That way I had alignment "pins" that properly aligned the trans & motor. Once it was together I could then simply unscrew the pins and replace with bolts and tighten her up.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Are you using a transmission or floor jack? If everything lines up correctly you should be able to hang the trans on the motor with only a very narrow gap. If your depending on bringing the trans up to the motor using bolts something is mis-aligned.

What I used to do when I did a lot of trans installs I had bolts that were simply long studs, I cut the heads off & cut a slot for a screwdriver. That way I had alignment "pins" that properly aligned the trans & motor. Once it was together I could then simply unscrew the pins and replace with bolts and tighten her up.

Hope this helps.

thats a damn good idea
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

bump
Old 10-17-2010, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the torque convertor should clunk three times when going inn your fingers should not be able to fit in betwwen the convertor and the caes unlee you have very small fingers has any thing been changet fly wheel convertor area different year any thing and is the motor and trans at same angle small bottle jack on front crank pully lowers the back of motor

Quick Reply: Trouble puttin trans back in