Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission shifting speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission shifting speed

Hey, I've been having where it takes longer to shift gears. If I gun it it'll take a good second or two to shift into higher gear. Not good for racing. Maybe a solenoid that's going bad? It's 1990 xj 4.0 automatic.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're not in a race car, you're in an XJ.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

lol, try adjusting your kickdown cable lightning mcqueen

Sent from my DROIDX using Cherokee Forum
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L Straight Six!

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You're not in a race car, you're in an XJ.
What he said. Granted you might have a problem. Don't get me wrong. But Jeeps are Jeeps. They're not smoothing shifting ferraris.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Are you in "comfort mode" or "power mode"?

Adjust the kickdown cable, make sure you're in power mode,amd if you still think it isn't right, check your thottle position sensor. This is assuming that you have verified the proper fluid level, and correct type of fluid, AND that it isn't in need of changing.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

I dont do seriouse racing lol. But when a stang rolls up next to me I like to challenge them. The fluid levels are correct and correct type. I have it in comfort. I assumed power was for towing or off road.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Power mode is for when you need power more and sooner. IE RACING. The only time you should even try to race a Stang is when that race occurs on a dirt road. Any other road the Stang whens and you get embarrassed for trying something so ridiculous. If you even won the Stang wasn't racing.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by excess650
Are you in "comfort mode" or "power mode"?

Adjust the kickdown cable, make sure you're in power mode,amd if you still think it isn't right, check your thottle position sensor. This is assuming that you have verified the proper fluid level, and correct type of fluid, AND that it isn't in need of changing.
Excellent advice. The throttle position sensor is DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics. Here is more..
---------------------------------
RENIX TPS
(Thanks to Joe Peters from NAXJA for this information)

MANUAL TRANSMISSION:

RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body. This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission TPS has three wires in the connector. Wire "A" is positive. Wire "D" is ground. Remove the three-wire connector from the TPS. Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "D" ground. Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage. Now, reconnect the three-wire connector to the TPS. Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage, if you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:

RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a three-wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES. However, the automatic TPS also has a four-wire connector. For the automatic transmission equipped vehicles the four-wire connector provides data to the TCU. Disconnect the four-wire connector. Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your REFERENCE voltage. Now, reconnect the four-wire connector to the TPS. Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage, if you can't replace the TPS and start over.

So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of the TPS.

For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Xj1990
I dont do seriouse racing lol. But when a stang rolls up next to me I like to challenge them. The fluid levels are correct and correct type. I have it in comfort. I assumed power was for towing or off road.
Challenging Mustangs in an XJ is a punk move, don't be a douche nozzle.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

Trying to race anything in an XJ is what gets owners stereotypically bad reps. It's a jeep, take it for what it is.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM

They still get up and go quickly tho. There not slow cars. Thanks for the adice I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Xj1990
The fluid levels are correct and correct type.
Whispers:

shhh gotta talk silently here not to wake up the tranny troll. how many miles do you have on the tranny filter.......

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Just replaced it a couple months ago. So maybe two or three thousand.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Challenging Mustangs in an XJ is a punk move, don't be a douche nozzle.
Sig Worthy
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Cherokees aren't just for crawlin' anymore!
Attached Thumbnails Transmission shifting speed-picture292.jpg   Transmission shifting speed-bad_ass_jeep_cherokee.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting speed