Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Pan Bolts

Old 09-22-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission Pan Bolts

Hey,

I am a new XJ owner, as well as a new DIYer, who is quickly learning that a good portion of learning to DIY involves a lot of learning how to fix your mistakes due to lack of experience .

My first major project on my 98 Cherokee is fixing a pesky P0753 code (shift solenoid A electrical). I ended up dropping the transmission pan, changing out the solenoids thinking it would fix the code...unfortunately the code is still there, AND now I have a few stripped transmission pan bolts (as well as a stripped drain plug).

I saw on an old thread that the pan bolts are m6-1.0x15m/m...I have not for the life of me been able to find any of those bolts specifically for the AW4 pan on auto parts websites. I'm thinking I am going to have to find a few elsewhere.

At risk of sounding silly, I understand the m6-1.0 part, but I am a little confused about the 15m/m. I am able to find m6-1.0 screws like this:

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...m?1=1&CartID=0

would something like that work for replacing the screws?

Lastly, I plan to tap out the threads...there might still be enough thread life in them and I hope that just cleaning them out with a same-size tap would fix my issues when trying to put a new screw in. Do you know the size tap I would need? Would that be an m6-1.0 tap?

As for the drain plug, I was able to find one on parts geek...I think I should be able to tap that out as well pretty easily...any negative to just taping and screwing in as opposed to using helicoil?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice! Really looking forward to hearing back...I wanna get this thing in tip top shape by the end of fall but we will see how things roll the next month or so.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I'll answer the drain plug question.

That plug was designed to strip. Not the pan itself. You should be good to go with the new drain plug and washer.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I'll answer the drain plug question.

That plug was designed to strip. Not the pan itself. You should be good to go with the new drain plug and washer.
aha...so youre saying i wouldnt even have to tap it, not even to clean the threads out?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by DisorganizedMan
I saw on an old thread that the pan bolts are m6-1.0x15m/m
Thread 6mm
Pitch 1.0
Length 15mm (.590)
You'll need 6mmx1.0 Helicoils more than likely because the aluminum threads in the case would pull before a steel fastener.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Thread 6mm
Pitch 1.0
Length 15mm (.590)
You'll need 6mmx1.0 Helicoils more than likely because the aluminum threads in the case would pull before a steel fastener.
ok... i did read somewhere that the case was actually made of steel, and that it just strips so easily because there is barely any thread to begin with so torquing them too much can mess them up very easily. i might do the helicoil anyway. 15mm length sounds right now that i think about it...i didn't believe that that could be it but I just realized that 15mm is not nearly as long as i initially thought