Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission Mount

Ive had this rumbling rattle coming from the rear of my jeep for a while now when im in gear at a stop light. I thought it was my snapped leafs so i put new leafs on when i put my lift in and its still there. So i checked the exhaust hangers and everything is tight and im pretty sure its the transmission mount. I see them for over 50 bucks before shipping. Is that a normal price or what do you reccomend?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l I6

Just a thought me 98 rattles when stopped in gear and it's the catalytic converter which has deteriorated and has loose pieces in it. Try hitting it with your fist and see if it makes the same rattle you are used to hearing.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by BretHolt
Just a thought me 98 rattles when stopped in gear and it's the catalytic converter which has deteriorated and has loose pieces in it. Try hitting it with your fist and see if it makes the same rattle you are used to hearing.
thanks, ill definently try that when i get out of work
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

If the tranny mount is really your issue, then you can just get one at any auto shop for like $30. Make sure they match though, because on the 00' and 01' cherokees pretty much every auto parts store has the wrong part number in their catalog for the automatics. I ended up finding out that the one for a 93 manual or something worked for me when I replaced mine.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

you can go to a parts store and get one for 30 bucks and they work fine. i need to replace mine bad because that is what it causing mine to shake like how you are saying
Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

If you replace the trans mount, PB blast the hell out of the skid bolts/studs. Ask me how I know...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

rockauto.com has the best prices for tranny mounts, check that out if you can wait for shipping. And yes, PB blast the heck out of it. The PO snapped one of my 4 bolts that holds the crossmember. In the next few days I'm gunna get in there to replace the mount and I don't wanna snap any of the others. It's been about 2 weeks of spraying PB blaster on the remaining 3 a couple times a day to prepare haha
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
If you replace the trans mount, PB blast the hell out of the skid bolts/studs. Ask me how I know...
I just did the same thing on my 87 Cherokee... The two bolts snapped off and the easy out also broke off, how did you fix yours?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Year: 88
Engine: I6

i had no problem taking out the mount bolts. they were have way out when i looked jaja
Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by gvns8
If the tranny mount is really your issue, then you can just get one at any auto shop for like $30. Make sure they match though, because on the 00' and 01' cherokees pretty much every auto parts store has the wrong part number in their catalog for the automatics. I ended up finding out that the one for a 93 manual or something worked for me when I replaced mine.
^i have a hard time finding one for my 00/01 as well.
Click here.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
^i have a hard time finding one for my 00/01 as well.
Click here.
I'm going through that learning process right now myself. I got the mount that NAPA listed, took the old mount off, and only then learned that the NAPA part would not fit - the studs on the NAPA part are off-center. Called and drove all over town, no one had the correct part but the dealer, and the dealer wants $160 and a three-day wait - the NAPA part was $30. Ouch.

Three comments: One, don't worry about snapping off the four studs that hold the mount to the crossmember, they're part of the mount that's being replaced. Go ahead and snap 'em off, the new mount will have new ones. Use an impact wrench to remove the two 18mm bolts that hold the mount to the transmission body, because the transmission body is aluminum and you don't want to gall the threads.

Two, do not try to make the incorrect mount - the one that everyone lists as the correct mount, with the studs offset to one side - do not try to make that work by pushing the transmission off to the side enough to make the studs go in the crossmember holes. Seems obvious, but I read somewhere someone advising to go ahead and do that. Yikes.

Three, do not use the mount that's listed for the 2.5L engine. Even though its studs are centered and it looks like the one you want, it's not tall enough and the mounting plate is not angled enough. You have to insist on the equivalent of Jeep part number 52059347AB. I'm lucky to have a source at dealer cost, but that's still $100. That's just the price I'll have to pay to get it off the jackstands in the driveway and back on the road - three days after what should have been about 90 minutes' worth of work. Seems odd to me that it's so hard to find a fairly common part on a very common vehicle, but that's the way it is.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just replaced my mount and had no problems with the bolts being stuck. Its also a Florida jeep so not much rust. Advance discount auto had it for $31 and it was exactly what I needed. Mine was really bad though. The rubber was all smushed out and dry rotted