Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission issues

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee 4wd. Lately when im really light on the throttle just kinda cruising the tranny like to drop down gears when it shouldn't be. Then it kinda bounces back and forth between the gears until i press on the gas again. Any ideas ?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Not a hi-jack, but my wife has the same problem with hers...... Have tried adjusting the Transmission adj. cable at the throttlebody with no change.
Im not sure about yours, but hers happens between 3rd & 4th mostly, has happened once or twice between 2nd & 3rd, but not much.
Keeping eye on this thread for a hopeful solution.....
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

I have the same exact thing that both of you are describing. When im in 4 and its near third im just either on or off and it seems to be better. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread too incase it is a serious problem.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM

I found another thread that said it could be the throttle position sensor going bad, the torque convertor locking up or just the throttle kickdown cable needs adjusting. Doesnt seem like anyones knows the real answer to this. Might have to take it into a shop after all.

As for when its happening its usually between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th. I find if im just doing city driving and put the tranny into 3rd rather then drive it happens alot less, so anywhere up to 80km/h i just leave it in 3rd.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Year: 1994

Guys dont fear,if your xj's tranny is electronic follow my instructions, i had the same problem, i am getting a new tranny on thursday , but in this situation, unplug the gear changing sensor , it is a plug found under the passenger side console/glovebox , its pretty easy to access unscrew the bottom dash trim, its screwed on it. once unplugged this will allow you to drive your jeep manually. i did this and i find it alot better, driving of in 1-2, then 3 then D , you get better fuel economy, as for your problem, it is the solenoids playing up, changing gears automatically at the wrong speeds, kinda annoying to drive and you feel a jolt when your doing 100kms/h, but driving it manually will be just as good and i can guarintee you your problem will go away
Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

I'm probably the other thread you mentioned: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/90-...g-weird-56001/

I'm going to try the TPS this week and see if it makes any difference. I'll be sure to post the results.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM

i had the same problem all you guys are talking about but my check engain light came on and i got it checked there is a sensor on the trans that is called a trs sensor witch is a transmission rain sensor it controls the shifts so eathier yours is going bad or it is i replaced mine and it never did it again
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by jsport
transmission rain sensor
A what now?

I think you mean "Transmission RANGE sensor"
Old 08-16-2010, 02:42 PM

yes thats what i mean sorry i didnt see i wrote that
Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM

i have a 1997 cherokee sport would you know if mine is a electronic tranny so i could try that plug
Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jsport
i have a 1997 cherokee sport would you know if mine is a electronic tranny so i could try that plug
They all are, unless it's a manual of course.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

So what's the difference between the "gear changing sensor" mounted under the passenger-side dash and the "transmission range sensor"? Do 1990 XJs have both?

From what I have seen in the forum so far, the "gear changing sensor" is mounted under the dash and the "transmission range sensor" is mounted on the side of the transmission. What do each of these do?

Also, where is a good, inexpensive place to get Cherokee OEM parts?

Last edited by JeepFan; 08-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 PM

ok would you know were that plug is and what color it is
Old 08-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by JeepFan
So what's the difference between the "gear changing sensor" mounted under the passenger-side dash and the "transmission range sensor"? Do 1990 XJs have both?

From what I have seen in the forum so far, the "gear changing sensor" is mounted under the dash and the "transmission range sensor" is mounted on the side of the transmission. What do each of these do?

Also, where is a good, inexpensive place to get Cherokee OEM parts?
AFAIK there is no 'Gear Changing Sensor' in the passenger dash. However the transmission control computer (TCM) is located in the passenger dash. Perhaps that is what they mean?

The range sensor, I believe, detects what gear the transmission is currently in. I could be wrong, though.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Year: 1996

Not to be contrary, but I would be wary of disconnecting as described in this thread. I was doing some dash work while still using mine as a daily driver. I disconnected it and left it disconnected. My tranny was old and showing signs of slipping (it has 260000 on it at the time). It got worse immediately and I blew the tranny within two weeks.

Worse after installing a JY tranny and still not hooking up this wiring because I still had the dash apart, the new tranny slipped and I thought I had a bad tranny. When I finally thought about about and hooked this back up, the tranny worked great, with no problems since.

Others will be able to better describe what this box does, and my circumstances could be just random, but in my case, I am almost certain that disconnecting this and driving lots of miles this was spelled the end of my tranny.

FWIW,
Keith

Quick Reply: Transmission issues