Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transmission issues 1st gear poppong out please help new to Jeeps!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation transmission issues 1st gear poppong out please help new to Jeeps!

I have a 93' Sport i6 4.0 w/5 speed transmission 233,000 miles. recently 2nd and third gear started making a wirring or winding noise, and its got a lot louder. then shifting from 2nd to 3rd it wouldn't go into 3rd without really paying attention to it. Sometimes it won't let it engage and sometimes it will grind. I pull the shift lever back and put it back in and it will go in hit or miss. thats been happening for a couple days now. And for the first time last night it popped out of first gear with almost a bang and it felt like I was rear ended. I would assume thats just because of the momentum changing. It has popped out 3 times now today, unless i hold it there. I don't feel it wanting to pop out when I hold it though.

I've read some threads about the possibility of it having to either with the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder or needing new fluid in the tranny. Could someone help me out with this? Could it be either one or both?

Thanks ahead of time! Much appreciated,

Jason
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM

hmm sounds like u need synchronizers or just replace tranny
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 AM

I forgot to say that it grinds going into reverse to sometimes. Probably a useful bit of info. So I'm thinking not the syncro's.

After searching posts for a few hours, all I could come up with is replacing the fluid in the tranny. Maybe I ran it out? My clutch pressure is good, the clutch and internal slave aren't leaking. It doesn't grind in every gear.

I'm going to try replacing the fluid in the tranny this weekend. Why not try the least expensive solution? If that doesn't work, it must be a combination of a couple things. I'm thinking leading to a rebuilt tranny. IDK