Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission fluid check when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Transmission fluid check when cold

After replacing the transmission lines and a bunch of other stuff to make it road worthy again (been down for a couple months, still not ready), i was told you can gauge the transmission fluid when cold. When cold, the fluid should be above the MAX line on the dipstick. But isnt that too full? After starting the engine you check the fluid right away and it should be at the OK mark. Is this correct? When i checked mine, before starting the engine, the fluid was at the ADD line. If i heard correct, i am reading low. But wont the fluid level read proper once the fluid expands when warm? Or does it not expand that much, and i really am low?

I just want to be sure here as i have never checked nor filled the transmission fluid when cold before. Was always told not to. Now i am confused.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

you should be safe running it till hot since you're that close.

i will never understand why there cant be a cold level mark and be done with it, or, an over flow if you have too much!. let it run out!
it should be possible to make it simple. i hate messing trying to get it right.
one thing is sure, there are lots of cars out there running a little low, or hi and are just fine. it cant be too critical.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

CCken has a way to check cold.. I cant find it.. maybe He will chime in.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's the cold fluid level check. When at ambient temp, the fluid level must be at, or above, the MAX level. When you start the Heep it should drop to near the bottom of the dipstick. After driving for approximately 15 miles the fluid will be up to operating temp, then it should be above the top hole, or just under MAX.

Name:  rev1Visio-Drawing1.jpg
Views: 23791
Size:  475.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
Tekmom (09-24-2020)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

^^^^^ SEE..lol
Old 11-11-2016, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
you should be safe running it till hot since you're that close.

i will never understand why there cant be a cold level mark and be done with it, or, an over flow if you have too much!. let it run out!
it should be possible to make it simple. i hate messing trying to get it right.
one thing is sure, there are lots of cars out there running a little low, or hi and are just fine. it cant be too critical.

I don't know what year your Jeep is but the XJ Owner's Manual gives instructions for check the fluid level when cold. That's where I got the info to develop the image I posted above.

It IS CRITICAL to have the fluid level at the proper level. You can overheat your transmission if it is too low and damage can occur.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

CCKen, you rock. As always.
So it would appear that i need to add some fluid based on that pic. Running low is not on my to-do list.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

There is "cold", and there is, "not running". It's good to know the difference.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:43 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's the cold fluid level check. When at ambient temp, the fluid level must be at, or above, the MAX level. When you start the Heep it should drop to near the bottom of the dipstick. After driving for approximately 15 miles the fluid will be up to operating temp, then it should be above the top hole, or just under MAX.

Stolen.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Stolen.

Hey !

As payment, drop a $ in a Salvation Army red bucket when you get a chance.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Hey !

As payment, drop a $ in a Salvation Army red bucket when you get a chance.
I always do. I'll double up next time.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Found 1/2 qt or so of fluid leftover from the Mustang (it uses the same stuff) and poured it in. The fluid is up to the second hole right now. Does that sound about right for what was added?

There is a sidenote in my owners manual that says "if necessary to check the transmission below operating temperature, the fluid level should be at the ADD mark with the fluid at 75*F (room temperature)". But it doesnt say if the engine should be running or not, which was/is part of my confusion. I assumed running at first because once the engine is started, the fluid would drop below the ADD mark as the fluid circulates and not even register on the dipstick.

It then says "if the fluid is correctly established at room temperature, it should be at the full mark when the transmission reaches normal operating temperature (170*F)". So, according to the owners manual, the fluid expands from below ADD to the MAX mark at operating temperature. That is A LOT of expansion. If the fluid was at the MAX mark at operating temperature, wouldnt that be too full and cause excessive aeration of the fluid? I notice there is no mention of those holes in the dipstick. Just a guess, but the second hole is where it should read slightly at or below operating temperature, yes?

To be honest, transmissions never were my strongest subject so i tend to stay away from them whenever possible. But i try. Sometimes a little too hard, i will admit.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Found 1/2 qt or so of fluid leftover from the Mustang (it uses the same stuff) and poured it in. The fluid is up to the second hole right now. Does that sound about right for what was added?

What fluid is this? You should be using Dexron III/Mercon fluid.

There is a sidenote in my owners manual that says "if necessary to check the transmission below operating temperature, the fluid level should be at the ADD mark with the fluid at 75*F (room temperature)". But it doesnt say if the engine should be running or not, which was/is part of my confusion. I assumed running at first because once the engine is started, the fluid would drop below the ADD mark as the fluid circulates and not even register on the dipstick.

It then says "if the fluid is correctly established at room temperature, it should be at the full mark when the transmission reaches normal operating temperature (170*F)". So, according to the owners manual, the fluid expands from below ADD to the MAX mark at operating temperature. That is A LOT of expansion. If the fluid was at the MAX mark at operating temperature, wouldnt that be too full and cause excessive aeration of the fluid?

No, it should be at the MAX mark at operating temp, but not below the top hole.

I notice there is no mention of those holes in the dipstick. Just a guess, but the second hole is where it should read slightly at or below operating temperature, yes?

Early dipsticks didn't have holes in them so the literature you see reflects the early dipsticks. There are many things in the FSM and OM that are carry-over from earlier years. Jeep was too lazy to address these things. The '99 OM does mention the holes however.

The fluid should be at the MAX mark at operating temp, but not below the top hole.

To be honest, transmissions never were my strongest subject so i tend to stay away from them whenever possible. But i try. Sometimes a little too hard, i will admit.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

I am using Dexron III/Mercon.

So when the fluid is cold it should be at the MAX mark. As soon as the engine is started (still cold) it should be at the ADD mark. And at operating temperature it should be between the top hole and the MAX mark. The closer to the MAX mark, the better? And if it is below the top hole at operating temperature, it needs fluid? And what about the OK mark? What is its range?
Old 11-12-2016, 11:20 PM

Start it and let it run for a few minutes in the driveway. check it.