Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Which transmission filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Which transmission filter?

Hey guys,

I need to drop the pan and change the filter in my tranny of my 95' XJ. I bought one from Autozone a few weeks ago, but decided to return it because I didn't want to do it yet.. but after reading more, I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it done. (just bought the XJ from a woman who did NOT take care of it)

So I'm looking on Ebay, and the filters on there look a LOT different from what I bought from Autozone.

Can anyone give me a link to an Ebay tranny filter that I should buy. Again, its for my 95' XJ.

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one that is inside the tranny from the factory is a fine metal screen.....
The one that AutoZone sells should also be a metal screen.
Thats the one I used........

Be prepared for a battle with trying to get your tranny pan off.......It looks like it would be easy, but it might not be. I assure you.

If you have never taken it off before, you will have trouble separating the upper dipstick tube from the lower part that's attached to the pan.
You may have trouble with it clearing the exhaust pipe that runs under the front of it.( I did, and ended up dropping the exhaust pipe from the manifold.)
I also had to put a jack under the transfer case, and remove the crossmember, and tranny mount to get the pan off.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Firehawk068
The one that is inside the tranny from the factory is a fine metal screen.....
The one that AutoZone sells should also be a metal screen.
Thats the one I used........

Be prepared for a battle with trying to get your tranny pan off.......It looks like it would be easy, but it might not be. I assure you.

If you have never taken it off before, you will have trouble separating the upper dipstick tube from the lower part that's attached to the pan.
You may have trouble with it clearing the exhaust pipe that runs under the front of it.( I did, and ended up dropping the exhaust pipe from the manifold.)
I also had to put a jack under the transfer case, and remove the crossmember, and tranny mount to get the pan off.
This is good info.

To save yourself from having to drop the down pipe you can use a ratchet strap to gently pull the downpipe forward to give you a touch more space to drop the pan. On my 97 I didn't have to move the transmission mount or crossmember at all.

Get the filter (screen) from autozone (I got the one I put in there). Don't use something from ebay in your transmission, too many things could go wrong.