Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission

Have a 95 Cherokee Sport four-wheel drive just recently traded my gas hog 5.9 ram 1500 anyway been wanting to join one of these forms for quite some time now this is my fourth Jeep and less I'll post pictures at a later date of all of them transmission drives like it should once it goes into drive but it will not take off from drive you have to take off from first go in the second third and then put in Drive until you slow down to 5 miles an hour then you have to start the process all over again otherwise Drive shifts up and down as it should once it's working very odd so I got a shift solenoid kit and new fluid filter going to try that anybody have any other suggestions I was also told about the TCM underneath the dash could be bad but would not be something that would throw a code a
ll help would be great thank you
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Transmission

again same thing just curious as to why two of the solenoids I got in the kid with three in it look exactly the same only thing that makes them different is the fact that the numbers on their coded metal jackets are different
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

They're the same. The TCU controls them seperatly to select gears and lock the torque converter.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

The diagnostic system on the OBD1 XJs isn't as advanced as the newer OBD2 XJs. TCU problems won't throw codes on the OBD1 system as far as I know. I'm not even certain it'll throw codes on the OBD2 systems even though I've had two OBD2 XJs lol.

Anyway you need to go though the wiring going to and from the TCU and clean up all the connectors and apply dielectric grease in all the connectors as well, check all the grounds. A lot of these weird problems can be traced to bad grounds or corroded connectors.

You can also do a resistance check on the solenoids from the TCU connector without having to drop the transmission pan, which I would do before diving in and replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by downs
The diagnostic system on the OBD1 XJs isn't as advanced as the newer OBD2 XJs. TCU problems won't throw codes on the OBD1 system as far as I know. I'm not even certain it'll throw codes on the OBD2 systems even though I've had two OBD2 XJs lol.

Anyway you need to go though the wiring going to and from the TCU and clean up all the connectors and apply dielectric grease in all the connectors as well, check all the grounds. A lot of these weird problems can be traced to bad grounds or corroded connectors.

You can also do a resistance check on the solenoids from the TCU connector without having to drop the transmission pan, which I would do before diving in and replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.
Okayokay going to give that a try but I have already purchased everything as far as solenoids gasket pan seal also transmission filter fluids so what I trace resistance from the transmission control module under the dash to the actual solenoids or from where is what I'm confused about what I've done years of maintenance on mechanical things this is the first trans am getting this far into -2 minus the simple things
Old 11-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Where is the transition sorry transmission control unit located and pretty sure that's what TCU is standing for correct
Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

The two identical solenoids are shift solenoids A and B. The one that looks different is the torque convertor lockup solenoid (solenoid C).

Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Passenger side under the lower dash panel. There's no need to tear into the trans unless you need to. The pan has a drain plug if you want to do a drain and fill that way. It's about a gallon of fluid that comes out of the trans drain. do that a few times over a few oil changes and you'll have a transmission full of new fluid for the most part. All the filter is, is a mesh screen. Sure if you're in there already might as well change it but unless the transmission is coming apart internally there's not much it stops except for pretty large particles. If the connections are bad it could give a bad reading on the solenoid check. You really need to make sure your connections and grounds are good before anything else.

TCU=Transmission control Unit. Correct.

This is a good thread to start in to get up to speed on the AW4 over on NAXJA

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

And here is a recent post (post #4 in the below linked thread) to give you some good visuals of where you need to be looking. In this thread the owner fond out a ground strap had been damaged and was causing his problems.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jee...8/#post3525072
Old 11-12-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If you decide to take the pan off be prepared to pull your hair out separating the two piece dip stick/fill tube. It separates about 8 inches above the pan. Applied heat may help, be careful. I am a freak and I cut it which I do not recommend. For me a couple drain and fills would have been the proper way to go. Good luck!!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Year: 1990

This may fix it, and it's the place you check the solenoids for proper resistance.

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and goes to the NSS and the gray connector goes to the transmission itself
. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.

Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an ’87 to ’90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.

Revised 1-31-2016
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Funky trans again

Ok finally seen it its my speed affecting the gear I went under 5 going down a hill kept it in drive rolled over 5mph hit the gas again trans started grabbing again would that be torque converter
Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 AM

my1991 XJ Auto. runs great. Better than my 2003 grand Cherokee. Going out& parking it at pub, I fiorced shifter into park. Not realizing I had a hard candy in front of shift slid area A slight bang into park. Well , once I later saw crushed chunks of candy. Dam. But later on when I finally left, first 2 mins. she slipped into neutral, off the gas, checked shifter lever position (thought I bumped it..not) then drove ok. Then 5 more mins it did it again. And then ok. After reading on site. And finding anything, on other jeepers, they are told to reset transfers case linkage. But that is for 4 wheel drive issues. Mine is not.
Is there an adjustment in Jeep by shifter or under Jeep?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:46 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 615 Likes on 522 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by PonchoDKM
my1991 XJ Auto. runs great. Better than my 2003 grand Cherokee. Going out& parking it at pub, I fiorced shifter into park. Not realizing I had a hard candy in front of shift slid area A slight bang into park. Well , once I later saw crushed chunks of candy. Dam. But later on when I finally left, first 2 mins. she slipped into neutral, off the gas, checked shifter lever position (thought I bumped it..not) then drove ok. Then 5 more mins it did it again. And then ok. After reading on site. And finding anything, on other jeepers, they are told to reset transfers case linkage. But that is for 4 wheel drive issues. Mine is not.
Is there an adjustment in Jeep by shifter or under Jeep?
there is a plastic piece under the Jeep adjacent to front of trans that retains the auto shifter cable mount within a bracket.

When mine broke, could not engage gears, as shifter cable is not held firmly in place

fixed it with metal tape and wire.

If that is the issue, would recommend a new shifter cable
Old 11-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Default Bullshiz

so I unplugged the TCM checked all the ground wires controlling the transmission itself everything look to be in good order there were no frayed wires or corrosion around grounds but forgot to plug TCM back and start of the truck put it in drive and it's somewhat wanted to moveso I so I was able to drive it someone stop unplug battery plug TCM back in plug battery back and restart of the truck and again it stopped working in drive so just made it odd to me that it stops working when plugged in and semi works when unplugged any thoughts help would be great thank you in advance
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Year: 1990

Hey Lisa. I'm getting tired of merging all the different threads you're starting.

Stick with this one for your trans issues please.

Quick Reply: Transmission