Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transfer case and transmission maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default transfer case and transmission maintenance

I have a 1998 Cherokee Limited 4WD and the transfer case and transmission are both due for servicing. The shop wants $235 for the transmission service and another $150 for the transfer case. The mechanic said this includes going to synthetic fluids. This seems like a lot of money. What synthetic fluids is he talking about. My manual says both use Dextron III transmission fluid. Is this reasonable or a rip off?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 6 Cly 4.0 HO

i would say just do it yourself i did about a month abo when i sunk my jeep and ya i just drain the trany fluid and t-case and used dextron III fluild. but for the tranny get a new filter and gasket its kinda a pain in the, but its not to bad it will be cheaper than the shop
Old 09-29-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't think it's an astronomical price, but I still wouldn't pay it. I would ask exactly what fluid they plan to use.
I put REDLINE in everything but the engine. It is expensive, but my mind is at ease knowing it is going to give me the best service life that way.

Automatics in general can go out at the drop of a hat for apparently no reason (I've worked at several dealerships), so I try to do the best to take care of them.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

There's no filter in the transfer case. I just drove 600 miles to pick my Ebay 98 XJ up. I went straight to a local shop and had all of the fluids changed. Tranny, transfer, front and rear differentials for less than you are talking.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 AM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.7

there is actually a filter in the t case. its a screen type that slides in a slot with the oil pump pick up tube. if you wanted to replace it youd have to seperate the cases which is not practical. i always flush my tcase. drain fluid, fill with cheep of the same oil drive it a day, drain and replace with lucas. keeps her oil nice and clean