Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer Case Operation for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer Case Operation for Dummies

OK. I'm a dork, but I'll own that. I've only had my XJ for a bit now, and I want it to run forever. That being said, I must own up to the fact that this is my first part time 4x4. My first rig was a 78 Jeep Cherokee Chief with a 401 big block (beautiful, but thrashed before I got it).

All this to ask, what is the proper use and limitations of 4x High and 4x low (e.g., shift while wheels are in motion but below 10 mph, do not exceed 40 mph in 4h, etc.)? What are the proper ways to shift into and out of each of these gears?

Thanks and sorry for the retarded post,

s
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Engine: 4.0

this is about the only thing an owner's manual is good for. they lay it out real nice in there. but if you don't have one. 4 hi can be used on any slippery surface. it is shift on the fly, mine was described as you can shift into 4 hi at any legal speed. so in and out of 4 hi from 2 is easy. i wouldn't exceed 45 tops, if you can go that fast, you dont need 4wd on. 4 low is different. transmission in nuetral, i always do it at a stop, they say also can be slightly rolling. shift into 4 lo and out the same way. 4 low is only for off road or stuck.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Year: 1994

x2 on Jp's explanation. Dont forget that when you shift to use steady pressure and Do Not force or jerk the shifter. steady even pressure will work just fine. when you go from N to 4L you will hear a slight gear mesh (or grind) and this is normal. When i shift from 2h to 4h i am always rolling forward less than 5 mph because if im entering a situation ahead of time that i know i need it, i slow down and shift. Shifting at higher speeds is possible, but not always good on your equipment. Just remember unless you have an NP 242 xfer case with the 4 fulltime option, dont use 4H part time on dry hard surfaces. Have Fun!!

Oh, and when you shift back into 2H, its a good idea to put her in reverse and back up at least 10 feet. This makes sure the front axle disengaged.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot

i know this got booted around already, i've never had to back up, some people swear by it, some don't. my current xj shifts better than any i've had before, no matter what, in and out immediately. if yours is more stuborn, backing up will probably help.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
i know this got booted around already, i've never had to back up, some people swear by it, some don't. my current xj shifts better than any i've had before, no matter what, in and out immediately. if yours is more stuborn, backing up will probably help.
Agreed; its probably more of a habit than anything for me as mine drops out of 4h very easily. Just a suggestion.