Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer Case Linkage...rusted at adjustment point..? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer Case Linkage...rusted at adjustment point..? What to do?

Ok, in keeping with the suggestions in my other post with about transfer case issues, I was trying to adjust the T-case linkage (95 Sport Auto, NP242).

Took the bolt all the way out...and the rod that connects at the bottom of the shifter mechanism (back to the TC lever) is frozen.

Tried having my daughter shift up top, and the rod doesn't slide in the adjuster.

Tried spraying PB blaster, and tapping with a socket over the end of the rod.

Even tried prying the adjusting 'block' while my daughter shifted in the opposite direction.

So...

Is there some way to open the block up (I can't see the block completely...just the metal bracket (that the locking bolt goes into), the square piece and the rod. Can't tell if there's supposed to be a split somewhere that is pinched down, etc.

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Do you have a workbench and vice? Just remove it and work on freeing/cleaning it up.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Default Ok...

Just pry it out from the rubber grommets at each end, or does it require a more involved disconnect?

Also....This is my first Jeep. How easy/hard should it be to shift through the various settings...very difficult?

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem with mine. this is what i did. i pryed both ends out of the rubber grommets. then put it in a vice and removed the bolt from the adjuster. then heated up the adjuster with a small burns-O-matic hand torch for about 5 minutes then put a 10" adjustable wrench on the adjuster and slowly turned it till it freed up. after i got it all apart i cleaned the whole thing up with a wire wheel and lightly lubed the whole entire thing with a verry thin coating of grease. the whole job took about an hour. now my stock linkage is easy to adjust and workes smoothly.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo
I had the same problem with mine. this is what i did. i pryed both ends out of the rubber grommets. then put it in a vice and removed the bolt from the adjuster. then heated up the adjuster with a small burns-O-matic hand torch for about 5 minutes then put a 10" adjustable wrench on the adjuster and slowly turned it till it freed up. after i got it all apart i cleaned the whole thing up with a wire wheel and lightly lubed the whole entire thing with a verry thin coating of grease. the whole job took about an hour. now my stock linkage is easy to adjust and workes smoothly.

Thanks....I thought it might be the easiest thing to do, but before I pried anything out, I wanted to check.

I hope that's the issue with the T Case...

Still wondering "how hard to shift" from above....since this is my first Jeep, I don't have a reference. When it's in neutral (not running), it takes a good bit of force to shift through the various settings....not as easy as (say) shifting a manual with the clutch in. Is that correct?

AFARR