Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans filter replacement - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Trans filter replacement - HELP!!!

So I'm changing the trans filter on the AW4 and I get this far...

The pan is completely free from the trans itself, but I can't get the filler tube disconnected from the pan. It looks like a simple connection that should just slide apart, but I'm fighting it. I even managed to get a screwdriver on the lip of the tube from above and peck with a hammer, but still no success. Then I removed the one bolt that holds the filler tube to the bellhousing, but with the whole tube attached, I can't twist the pan enough to get it around the exhaust and crossmember. I'm probably missing something simple...any tips?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
So I'm changing the trans filter on the AW4 and I get this far...

The pan is completely free from the trans itself, but I can't get the filler tube disconnected from the pan. It looks like a simple connection that should just slide apart, but I'm fighting it. I even managed to get a screwdriver on the lip of the tube from above and peck with a hammer, but still no success. Then I removed the one bolt that holds the filler tube to the bellhousing, but with the whole tube attached, I can't twist the pan enough to get it around the exhaust and crossmember. I'm probably missing something simple...any tips?
As the pic shows you have a 2 part tube.
Unbolt the top part 1st and twist it off as the book says.

I'd be wrenching right now but someone wanted to see a movie. That person is snoring during this stupid movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Thats stupid, it should just pull apart. There shouldnt be any trick to it. Put down the purse nancy and pull/twist. Good luck
Old 10-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jamaicanmecrazy
As the pic shows you have a 2 part tube.
Unbolt the top part 1st and twist it off as the book says.

I'd be wrenching right now but someone wanted to see a movie. That person is snoring during this stupid movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.
I tried putting a couple bolts back in the pan to hold it in place and then unbolting the top part again and twisting like ****. No dice. The filter was keeping the pan from coming off with the whole tube attached, so took the filter off with the pan dangling and bent the lower part of the tube so that the whole assembly could wiggle out. Then had to stand in the pan and pull up with both hands to get the tube apart. Whew! How could something so simple be so hard?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sk8ertht540s
Thats stupid, it should just pull apart. There shouldnt be any trick to it. Put down the purse nancy and pull/twist. Good luck
HA HA!!! I expected a response like that I know, it didn't make sense that it was attached so firmly...oh well, it's off now!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Now check this out...the rubber gasket supplied with the filter from AZ is totally wrong!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

NAPA has the correct gasket (rubber) for $5-6.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Unless it is different where you live the AZ clerks here don't know squat about parts. The gasket looks like one for a Grand Cherokee and not an AW4 Cherokee. They can't even figure the difference between the two vehicles IMO. I go to AZ as a last resort.
You may pay a little more at NAPA or even O'Reilley's but the parts are better and their personell know more about the vehicles they sell stuff for.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I hear what you're saying about AZ. That's why I watched the clerk make the correct selections on the screen...I guess their database is wrong. ARGHHH!!! Taking it back and going to NAPA. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Registered Users

I tried putting a couple bolts back in the pan to hold it in place and then unbolting the top part again and twisting like ****. No dice. The filter was keeping the pan from coming off with the whole tube attached, so took the filter off with the pan dangling and bent the lower part of the tube so that the whole assembly could wiggle out. Then had to stand in the pan and pull up with both hands to get the tube apart. Whew! How could something so simple be so hard?
Man! Sorry to hear you got such a workout.....
I've had some Chevys and Fords that were that tough but never the 2 piece filler tube.
The book makes it sound easy.

Sounds like the Orings are old and baked on.
On my 95 the tube is wicked long and goes over the drivers side around the block. On my 96 the tube is short and on the passenger side.

Who thought these combos up?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Registered Users

Now check this out...the rubber gasket supplied with the filter from AZ is totally wrong!

You don't want to know what I went through with the idiots at AZ last night.
Now that it's over I feel better because I came out $7 ahead of the game.
Looks like the right gasket to them, Square peg, round hole.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten

Auto Zone is where you go to work after getting fired from Jack In The Box , Sorry I had to say it......
Old 10-18-2008, 07:56 PM

Year: 95

Yeah, Autozone sucked ***** here, too, until they went out of business.

Problem is, the NAPA guys here are all idiots, (they also stiff pizza deliverymen, and since I was one once, I won't give them a dime of my considerable business. I mean what kind of auto parts guy ticks off the pizza delivery guy?)

I've NEVER received the right part from NAPA in my town. They have a talent for getting it wrong.

O'Reilly's is okay, but they just hired a guy who is dumber than a brick, and Carquest is a bit high, though they have decently knowledgeable people.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

The AZ in my town is awesome, i have also known all the guys that work there for quite some time now. Two of them are ASE certified parts distributors and know there stuff!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by 120mm
Yeah, Autozone sucked ***** here, too, until they went out of business.

Problem is, the NAPA guys here are all idiots, (they also stiff pizza deliverymen, and since I was one once, I won't give them a dime of my considerable business. I mean what kind of auto parts guy ticks off the pizza delivery guy?)

I've NEVER received the right part from NAPA in my town. They have a talent for getting it wrong.

O'Reilly's is okay, but they just hired a guy who is dumber than a brick, and Carquest is a bit high, though they have decently knowledgeable people.
Wow this must be a regional thing. When I lived in Atlanta area the Advanced Auto guys were smart and AZ was dumb as dirt. NAPA has always had the real brains in the parts biz everywhere I have lived. AZ continues to be the burger flippers and Here the O'Reilley"s guys are the brain as well as the NAPA guys. Advanced is mid pack of the local guys.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 10-18-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spellinz erers

Quick Reply: Trans filter replacement - HELP!!!