Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans cooler lines.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Trans cooler lines.

Hello,
I am getting ready to replace the radiator in my daughters 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic with a 4.0L engine. my question relates to the lower trans cooler line. Hard to see but is a special tool required to remove it from the radiator. The top line looks like it just screws in. Thanks for any replies to this post.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The top appears to just screw in but the line doesn't come out of the core...the hard line stays with the radiator core and just, then just around the bend is where The lines connect. You'll have to get a disconnect tool. Usually 10 bucks for a set at the auto parts store. Grab a can of brake clean also to clean the dirt and gunk that has accumulated in the fittings. At the transmission the lines have a simple fitting, Also clean that out. That will make it easier to disconnect. Easy job but takes a lot of patience! Good luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

As stated get the disconnect tool. Waste a can of cleaner and then some PB blaster on the fitting. It can be a TOTAL PITA. Be prepared for it to fight you to the end. Be careful as it comes apart and make sure you put it back together how it comes apart. If found that some even have a spacer as well as the o-rings. In the end I replaced the entire mess because of a continued drip. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Disconnect tool for 3/8" tubing. Made by Autocraft, available at Advance Auto Parts.

Name:  OilCoolerLineQuickDisconnectToolAutocraft.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  100.8 KB

Pic showing disconnect tool in use. This shows disconnecting the upper tube from its QD. Same use for the lower tube QD at the radiator.

Name:  SeperatingLines1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  149.1 KB
Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Those connectors work really well with the proper connector tool like CCKen shows.

When they aren't old and corroded. Once they are..... not so much.

The brake cleaner AND PB Blaster is good advice. Compressed air if you have it available.

Me? I cut them out and replace them with barb fittings (where needed) & clamps. They are a gimmicky, stupid system that should never have been adopted.

I've heard people talk about how great they are. I'm not impressed by their arguments. I don't tolerate them on my vehicles.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks guys for the info.Also thanks to CCKen for the pictures.Wish me luck.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM

CCKEN thanks for your pictures.I took radiator out tonight and used trans line disconnect tool. Now having difficulty reconnecting lines. Feels like it is pushing in as far a it will go but not locking in place.Is it possible the tool spread the 4 metal tangs in and I need to use a pick to open them up a little so they snap in place? Your advice on this will be much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MRRYDER
CCKEN thanks for your pictures.I took radiator out tonight and used trans line disconnect tool. Now having difficulty reconnecting lines. Feels like it is pushing in as far a it will go but not locking in place.Is it possible the tool spread the 4 metal tangs in and I need to use a pick to open them up a little so they snap in place? Your advice on this will be much appreciated.
It sounds like there's corrosion in the QD. If you can't get the tangs freed up you may need to replace the line assembly.

See post #46 here for the Dorman part number of that line assembly.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...e-6558/index4/
Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Great thread. I was looking to replace my lower lines and couldn't find the details needed.

Name:  AW4TransCoolerPlumbing.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  101.6 KB

Last edited by Letterman52; 04-30-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM

Default Thank you.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes. I agree great post. Thanks for pictures and part numbers.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Glad you like the thread. But I'm curious, with all your posts, why you haven't bothered to fill out your profile yet so others can see what model Jeep, year, engine, trans, etc., you have. Sometimes it's the ticket to just add all that stuff to your signature.

If you just want to lurk that's up to you.

Originally Posted by Letterman52
Great thread. I was looking to replace my lower lines and couldn't find the details needed.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by CCKen
Glad you like the thread. But I'm curious, with all your posts, why you haven't bothered to fill out your profile yet so others can see what model Jeep, year, engine, trans, etc., you have. Sometimes it's the ticket to just add all that stuff to your signature.

If you just want to lurk that's up to you.

It's all in my build thread. Most people just search the username and go from there.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Letterman52
It's all in my build thread. Most people just search the username and go from there.
Been there, done that. In my old age I'm getting too lazy to do that anymore.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 PM

Default Trans line FAIL

CCKEN. It went as you said it would.Tried to repair disconnect tangs but they just will not lock in. I will order the trans lines and fittings tonight. I will feel better replacing lines as my daughter commutes daily to college in our (her)Jeep. She run it hard but it has been such a good vehicle and perfect first for her. 15 years old and just need some love. I will also update my profile a bit more and add some photos. I really like some of the detailed photo's that you provide.Much better than any manuals.Thanks for the help and guidance you have provided me. MRRYDER
Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MRRYDER
CCKEN. It went as you said it would.Tried to repair disconnect tangs but they just will not lock in. I will order the trans lines and fittings tonight. I will feel better replacing lines as my daughter commutes daily to college in our (her)Jeep. She run it hard but it has been such a good vehicle and perfect first for her. 15 years old and just need some love. I will also update my profile a bit more and add some photos. I really like some of the detailed photo's that you provide.Much better than any manuals.Thanks for the help and guidance you have provided me. MRRYDER
If you plan on changing the couplings on the transmission, that's a good idea. If you do, have a drain pan under the couplings because you'll drain nearly 3 quarts of ATF out of the trans when you pull them. If you drain the trans pan as well you'll get a total of about 6 quarts of ATF out of the trans so have at least that much ATF available to refill. Use Dexron III/Mercon ATF. It's labeled as DEX/MERC, and other such names on the bottles (dependng on brand) so read the back label on the bottle to ensure it is Dexron III/Mercon type fluid.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler lines.